RamcoNorris

'72 Worth Saving? Pic Heavy

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guess I'll use this as my introduction. I'm Chris and hope to have a 2002 in the near future as my next fun/project car.

I've come across one at a local junkyard that is being auctioned off. I went and had a look at it today and it would definitely be a project. I'm curious what those with more experience than I have to say about this example. The issue being rust and if panels are available to fix the bad spots.

I know anything can be fixed with an unlimited budget. My goal would to not spend more than the car could ever be worth. My intentions with whatever car I end up with is to keep it and not trying to flip it but just want to make sure I don't go overboard. I have zero experience with rust repair so it could be a learning experience or it could find its way to a body shop. Mechanical I have no problems with, built 4 cylinder engines before, rehab suspension.....

I guess the worst case is that it could be used for parts but would rather see it saved than cut apart.

Thanks

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

IMG_4458.JPG

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

24 minutes ago, RamcoNorris said:

1) My goal would to not spend more than the car could ever be worth.

2) I have zero experience with rust repair

3) I guess the worst case is that it could be used for parts but would rather see it saved than cut apart.

I've highlighted the parts of your premise that do not make this project a wise decision in terms of a restoration project.

As you say, anything can be repaired with enough time/money/skill (this car will need a considerable amount of each).  The car has a couple grand worth of parts on it, especially if those wheels are Epsilon Southern Ways.  

Edited by AceAndrew

It doesn't look terribly bad for a driver.  I'd run the crap out of it and have fun.  That rear floor panel is ugly, but patch panels are available for a couple hundred bucks.  You could pay a guy some money to weld one in.  The other stuff looks more cosmetic to me.   

If you're wanting some kind of restoration, then it's probably not a good starting point, but do you want that?  These cars are meant to be driven.  Sure, you could spend countless hours and money making the rest of it perfect, if thats what you wanted.  You could drive it for many years as is and have more fun.   

$1000 bucks, tops.

You could sell a few parts a triple your money.

Look closely at that engine, it is fairly shiny and its had recent attention.  It may run quite well or even be a pretty fresh rebuild.  The Weber carb (32/36?) is probably recent (even though they did use some rubber bands...).  Not much oil/grease staining on the head or manifold, so it could've been out and cleaned sometime recent.  They put in an electric fuel pump and blocked off the mechanical pump spot, and there's an in-line fuse holder that doesn't look old or crusty either.

these roundie are getting fewer and fewer................. How are the shock towers? does it have a title?  

If towers are okay and it has a title I might pay up to 1500 maybe even 2k. But solid cars are very rare up here in WI 

if no title eh I might pass.....depends how easy it is to get one in your state

Wow, that is a lot of rust.  I would only buy it for the parts.  If you can get it for $1-2K, buy it anyway, and keep it around.  Then buy a 2002 worth restoring/fixing up, and use these parts on that.  

You didn't say if the engine runs or even turns over, if the brakes work or are rusted, etc., or how much your budget is. As noted above, the rust that you can see is the tip of the iceberg. If you want a good "rust-free" car to restore or even put money into, watch the ads for running cars in Calif. and southwest being sold, and buy a cheap airplane ticket, you'd probably save money in the long run. 

I've seen worse.

If you can buy it for a grand or so, and the motor is okay (and the shock towers are good), it may be a good project.

The fenders need replacing, and a door or two, probably....

Depends what you want out of the car. You might get a decent driver with a few grand investment. So far, I don;t think there's anything too scary. Look closely at the rear subframe mounts also. We may need more/better pics to further critique.

Where are you, anyway?

That's likely a '72. Post the VIN and we may have some history on it.

Cheers,

Well, the current bid on the car is $575, and unless the rear shock towers are toast, the only rust from the pictures that would give me pause is that odd rust line running across the floor pan under the back seat.  It appears to align with the rear seat riser, so I suspect a leaky rear or quarter window gasket allowed water to pool under the back seat, causing that rust line.  I've seen it on a few other 2002s, which normally have floor pans that rarely rust (except around the pedal box).  

The auction description describes the car's "primary damage" as "mechanical" so you might want to inquire further as to what that is.  

But at or close to the current bid you've got good parts if the body is in fact shot.  BTW, the dash, instruments and front seats are from a squarelight, not a '72.  

My friend Dene and I got one looking much worse than that one up and running--it'll give Paul's F-Bomb a run for its money on "patina"

mike

14 hours ago, fjord-tii said:

You didn't say if the engine runs or even turns over, if the brakes work or are rusted, etc., or how much your budget is. As noted above, the rust that you can see is the tip of the iceberg. If you want a good "rust-free" car to restore or even put money into, watch the ads for running cars in Calif. and southwest being sold, and buy a cheap airplane ticket, you'd probably save money in the long run. 

Unfortunately since its sitting in a junkyard with no keys and no info, I have no idea if it runs or the true condition of the brakes. 

As for budget on any 2002 I ultimetly end up with, probably around $10k. My point with this one is that if it could be obtained cheap enough, even if it cost a good amount to get the body fixed I might be alright.

I agree that that there is always more than what can be seen on first inspection. This one is rough but appears to be at least complete. With it being around $600 this morning and the auction going on till Wednesday, I'm guessing it may go for more than I am comfortable with.