nk_zhp

Which coil for Hot Spark

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi gang. I just installed Hot Spark in place of the traditional points. The engine appears to run great. I ended up purchasing the blue coil since the Hot Spark mentions it as the ideal coil to use. On the other hand the coil article on this site makes an absolute statement that the blue one should not be used, but sadly it does clarify if that is only for the case of traditional points.

So, question, with hot spark -> Blue coil with resistor bypass or Black with resistor?

Many thanks in advance (no pun intended).

Well, both of your options sound correct. I have Black with resistor wire and if i got a blue I believe I'd bypass the resistor since the blue has the correct resistance

On a normal stockish street car, a blue coil is just fine and easiest to deal with (since no resistors to mess with). I run a blue + hot spark and its been great for 3 years.

On race engine, you could benefit from the high coil voltage of black and red coils.

If you find it hesitates or bucks at low revs (2k or so) and moderate throttle, you might try the black.

Also, with the blue, make sure you're NOT running a resistor rotor (says 5k on top) AND resistance plugs AND resistance wires all together.

All that resistance adds up, and you get the abovementioned stumbling.

hth

t