• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutchnet Clutch kits....worth the money?

2joejoe2

The stock clutch is easily capable of taking 150hp.  The question is how do you use the clutch?  If you are a drag racer or someone that "slips" the clutch a lot the 215mm clutch will not last as long as a 228mm or a clutch with a more aggressive friction material (like maybe the clutchnet pieces?)  Once the clutch is engaged you are only having to deal with <150 lb/ft of torque (that's not all that much really)  if you match your engine speed to the gear/speed you are going when you up/down shift there should be very little "slipping" involved and the only clutch wear that happens is when it is "slipping".  I have never used or seen in person a ClutchNet BMW clutch.  I am using a stock 228mm clutch disc and a SACHS racing pressure plate (10% more clamping force, 1/2 the rotational mass) on my 220hp street car.  I tried a "trick clutch disc and it was almost impossible to drive on the street, it was very grabby and hard to modulate. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

16 hours ago, 2joejoe2 said:

anyone here have experience with clutchnet products?  I need to replace my 215mm clutch and want to do it with a set up that will last this time. car makes ~ 150hp 

http://clutchnet.com/index.php

Clutchnet is a great resource, particularly for custom clutch discs and pressure plates (heat-treated for more clamping force, which they do right there at the shop). Oleg - the owner - is very knowledgable. A good resource for testing clamping force, checking release/throw, etc. -KB

11 hours ago, Preyupy said:

.I am using a stock 228mm clutch disc and a SACHS racing pressure plate (10% more clamping force, 1/2 the rotational mass)

The m3 pressure plate from the s14 is an option too (for a 228mm flywheel).  It's stiffer than the stock pressure plate, although I couldn't say how much.

18 minutes ago, Zorac said:

The m3 pressure plate from the s14 is an option too (for a 228mm flywheel).  It's stiffer than the stock pressure plate, although I couldn't say how much.

The problem there is that about eight months ago bmw ran out and trickily superseded it the normal e30 325i pressure plate part number.  It was about %30-%40 stiffer.

ability to live at 8000 rpm

That's what I see as the weak spot on the Sachs 215-  the cover to friction surface straps aren't very durable when you use them hard.

the Luk 215 has the 228 style straps, and it's what I've used with 150 (ish) hp and an ireland racing disc.

For racing.  When you treat the clutch as a consumable when you need to.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a Sachs 228mm M3 clutch cover with an Ireland Eng sprung centre 4 puck type plate, on a lightened flywheel in my M10 making 165 rwhp.  Drives as a standard clutch would.  Maybe it does bite a little harder, but doesn't cause me to stall.  No need for a lot of revs or more than normal amount of slipping on takeoff.

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.

23 hours ago, Preyupy said:

I used the SACHS racing pressure plate more for it's weight and ability to live at 8000 rpm than its additional clamping force. 

I had a handful of these 215mm pressure plates made, have been running mine for years; it's lighter* (aluminum pressure ring) and has extra straps (*perhaps the lighter pressure ring makes it less susceptible to coming apart at higher RPMs, in a way Preyupy notes above). I've learned a few things since, at some point will make more or maybe a 228mm version. -KB

image.jpeg

Might be the bolts, too, Ken- the 215 that failed on me failed right at the rivets at the cover...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL