Sign in to follow this  
deschodt

Is there a fix for outside mirror getting loose ?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

My driver side door mirror is now folding at speeds above 60MPH - possibly to help me go faster. I found a screw hiding under the base gasket and tightened that to the max, but no dice... it still is too loose. 

Is there a fix for those things, if I take it off the car, or is this a replacement item ? Has anyone successfully epoxied one so that it does not swivel anymore ? (i'm the only driver, my setting needs to be set once only)

Replacements are near $200 - first time I find a BMW part more expensive than similar Porsche part ! ;-( 

I presume you are talking about the adjustable arm being loose.  If you remove your mirror there is a 10mm (not positive of the size) bolt projecting up into the adjustable arm.  You can tighten that to get more friction to keep your mirror from moving.

The set screw under the gasket is only for attaching and locking the mirror to it's baseplate.  Don't tighten that too much, you could strip the threads.  If your mirror base is loose when you tighten the set screw, either your baseplate screws are loose or the baseplate is not resting properly on the door sheet metal or the rubber gasket is worn out, or all of the above.  The sheet metal gets distressed outward around the base plate holes. Flatten the sheet metal by tapping it with a mallet, buffered with a small block of wood.  Be gentle.

DO NOT lose your cage nuts that the base plate screws into.  They are NLA, and alternatives are not great (yet).

Hope that helps.

Another trick to help hold trapezoid or flag mirrors in place:

Loosen the set screw that hold the mirror to the base mount, then remove the set screw, and visit your local hardware store with set screw in hand.  Find one with the same threads (they're metric) with an allen head (vs slotted head), preferably in stainless steel.  You can tighten the allen head screw much better than the slotted head, and they won't strip like a slotted head screw.  Use a little loctite on the threads if you wish.

mike

You guys are heroes !  I was going to remove the door panel again, before you clued me in the mirror could be taken out from the outside. Tightened nicely, saved $180 !!!  Thanks !