Sign in to follow this  
rmorin49

Newbie Advice Needed

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Long time BMW owner but no experience with 2002s.  Oldest BMW I have owned is a 1985 M635 Euro.  Sold it due to high maintenance costs and difficulty obtaining genuine BMW Euro parts.  Interested in finding a nice, complete 2002 that needs nothing to be a nice weekend driver.  Does not need to be a concours car but I am not interested in any cars that need restoration or major work. I live in western MD but close enough to Baltimore and DC to look at cars myself but would like some assistance from experienced 2002 folks.  Thanks for any advice or guidance.

On 7/12/2016 at 0:41 PM, rmorin49 said:

Long time BMW owner but no experience with 2002s.  Oldest BMW I have owned is a 1985 M635 Euro.  Sold it due to high maintenance costs and difficulty obtaining genuine BMW Euro parts.  Interested in finding a nice, complete 2002 that needs nothing to be a nice weekend driver.  Does not need to be a concours car but I am not interested in any cars that need restoration or major work. I live in western MD but close enough to Baltimore and DC to look at cars myself but would like some assistance from experienced 2002 folks.  Thanks for any advice or guidance.

1.  Learn about the major differences.  Do you want a roundie ('73 or earlier) or squarelight ('74-'76)?  Do you want black trim below the chrome trim  ('72/'73 and later)?  Does it have to be a tii?

2.  Check for rust!  Esp in the floor pans and towers.

3.  Ride (and drive) some and see what they're really like, if you haven't already.