• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: MiniMe

e9er

I'm finally finishing up my '02 project.  I started over a year ago and I just got it back together. 

A little background:  I purchased my '72 3.0cs almost 13 years ago and restored it over the first couple of years, I have had the car longer than any other car and I still love it.  The first coupe I remember seeing was Fjord, so that was the color I had to have.  Now, I love many of the classic BMW colors but Fjord is still probably my favorite (Tiaga coming in very close second).   The coupe was my first taste of BMW KoolAid, and since then we've had eight (currently we have four). 

059.JPG

I few years ago I bought a roundie but I didn't keep it very long.  I loved the car and kicked myself for selling it.  Last year I started looking for another 2002 but the price of the roundies had put one out of my reach for a fun project car.  I started looking at big bumper cars (had to have a sunroof) and found this one.  It wasn't too far away from me, it was Fjord, and it had a sunroof, so I went and looked at it.  Besides the paint being in horrible shape (crazing from the belt line up), the car was pretty nice and ran great.  The owner had owned it for years and had done several upgrades and he had just had Recaros reupholstered to match the dark blue interior.  It was came with several parts including a five speed.

02front.JPG02rear.JPG

I started taking the car apart and found no rust at all, I thought maybe this car is worth spending some money on.  Well, I spent some money!bbsrsbefore.jpg

Since I was painting the car, I had to do a euro bumper conversion on it.  I really had no idea how much work and cost it would take to do the conversion correctly.  Besides the body work, I had to find the bumpers, have them rechromed (huge money now), and buy all of the hardware to put them back together.  Just the clips for the back bumper rubber are $15 bucks each and you need 17 of them.  Getting the new bumpers on is a lot of work, especially the front.  I found a set of BBS RSs (before I even knew about the Clarion car) and restored them myself starting the day after Thanksgiving and finishing on New Years Day.   For the interior, I found a euro dash, tii clock, Esty's carpet, Petri wheel, etc...  The whole thing got a little out of hand but I think it was worth it.  Hope you guys like it. 

02.1.JPG2002.6.JPG2002.4.JPG2002.2.JPG2002.5.JPGsunroofop.JPG

2002.11.JPG

2002.9.JPG2002.8.JPG

Edited by e9er

Holy mackerel... that is gorgeous.  Plus the e9???  wow

Great job on the wheels.. lots of hours in that job, alone

Kudos,

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

agreed, that's an awesome looking car.

Well done!

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

very very very nice........but lose that dash overlay?......cf?........sheesh........all in good fun

seats look great....I would prefer seams going lt to rt tho....jus sayin

what about that e30?......yum

and that big coupe?......wow

Edited by jrkoupe

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!

I figured someone would notice the missing black trim pieces on the inside door releases, I have them - they are just worn out.  I need to get some new ones.

The carbon fiber gauge surround.  Yeah, I hear you.  I just hate the look of the fake wood and wanted to do something different.  I kind of feel like carbon fiber is passé' but a friend convinced my it's not going away any time soon.  It's actually a water transfer-base is the color of the car, then the transfer pattern, then clear. 

It does sit a little high in the front and I do want to get it down at least an inch.  I'll probably tackle that this winter.  Right now, I'm just going to enjoy driving it.

Thanks again!

Edited by e9er
spelling

Take the strut spacers out from under the front fenders and it will drop the front to just about right... and it takes less than 30 minutes.  Super easy.

I'd love to see pics of the 02 and e9 together... gorgeous.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Ouuuu... that E9...!!  B)
Probably just about as cool as cool will ever get.
Sadly, they have always just been out of my range - now probably more than ever.

Job well done on your 2002 too.
Looks thoroughly yummy...
Okay, I personally prefer a 02 on 13" wheels with some proper phat and bulging rubber.  Like JR I'm also not too keen on that cf stuff on your instrument binnacle.  Sorry, but it just looks cheap and totally out of place.  But that's just my opinion, and luckily we're all different.  Furthermore, I'm really nit-picking here as your 2002 most certainly looks thoroughly stunning!  :P

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.