rapandi

Hole next to the air filter housing - is it factory?

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

Can someone confirm that the circled hole below is not factory. It looks like it was drilled by the PO and whilst I am doing the body work I want to plug it. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything here. 

DSC_0342.JPG

You can see it below next to the air filter body

IMG_4920.JPG

Regards

Raj

My '72 has the hole and it looks like something was there at one time. My car had AC earlier in it's life and the whole system was removed. Could it have been a relay or something else for the AC system?

Tony

IMG_4488.JPG

Even my poor 2762757 (October 19, 1972) has it!

Just wait: someone on this forum is going to say something like, "Oh, yeah, that's where the strut enhancer mounts on all the Euro cars..."  And that's the beauty of the forum!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

"Oh, yeah, that's where the strut enhancer mounts on all the Euro cars..."  And that's the beauty of the forum!

Um.  My car is euro, and it looks like nothing was ever attached.  

Now, a lot of Swiss, German, and French air flowed through it, so it is probably worth more than the US version. ;)

Scott

PS  As I like to say, "they are ALL euro"

29 minutes ago, saaron said:

Um.  My car is euro, and it looks like nothing was ever attached.  

Now, a lot of Swiss, German, and French air flowed through it, so it is probably worth more than the US version. ;)

Scott

PS  As I like to say, "they are ALL euro"

I WAS joking, Scott, trying -- I mean utterly failing -- to illustrate that someone on this big wide Web might actually know why those holes exist!  I plucked "Euro" and the non-sensical "strut enhancer" out of the air!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

It's securing the battery ground wire next to the 3 musketeers, as I named them, because I have no idea what they do. ; }

20160609_130044.jpg

17 minutes ago, NYNick said:

It's securing the battery ground wire next to the 3 musketeers, as I named them, because I have no idea what they do. ; }

20160609_130044.jpg

Well, Nick, it's a little different because none of our round taillight cars is using that hole.  The square taillight cars got the neat "relay rack" and I believe most of them use the rack itself as the ground.  I can't quite "read" your photo, but my '76's is clearer -- at least to me -- as to how the ground attaches.  I have 4 Musketeers, because 3 can't always get the job done:  2 high beam relays, 1 horn relay (is that right?), and one fog light relay!

Best regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Oh right. Raj's car is a 73.

I kinda liked referring to them as the Three Musketeers. Now you have burst my bubble! What's next? No Easter Bunny?

It may even look like my rack has been bent, causing the 4th space down toward the fender. I'm not home to look, and won't be for a while.

Maybe I'll ask Santa. He knows everything!

40 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I WAS joking, Scott, trying -- I mean utterly failing -- to illustrate that someone on this big wide Web might actually know why those holes exist!  I plucked "Euro" and the non-sensical "strut enhancer" out of the air!

Oh, I know.  I was piling on in my feeble way.  I think on my car, that hole was put there by Alpina...it looks different...racier...

Scott

3 minutes ago, saaron said:

...I think on my car, that hole was put there by Alpina...it looks different...racier...

Scott

It looks it, Scott, and my '73's was drilled by Miller & Norburn -- it's a U.S. version, after all -- for brake cooling:  the small diameter, under the Bernoulli effect, dramatically increases the velocity of the air flow.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

11 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It looks it, Scott, and my '73's was drilled by Miller & Norburn -- it's a U.S. version, after all -- for brake cooling:  the small diameter, under the Bernoulli effect, dramatically increases the velocity of the air flow.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Reduces weight, too.

9 hours ago, NYNick said:

Oh right. Raj's car is a 73.

I kinda liked referring to them as the Three Musketeers. Now you have burst my bubble! What's next? No Easter Bunny?

And so you should. #4 is an Easter D'Aatagnan. 

Raj,

my '74tii has the same layout as Nick:  3 Musketeers on the bracket ...... with the ground wire bolted to the bracket ...... and the bracket welded to the body.  NO holes through the body.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner