Sign in to follow this  
sivertii

Which shocks to go with Eibach springs ?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi I was wondering If I can get some advice on how to soften up my suspension without losing too much of its performance.

The suspension  was set up back in 1999, it was fine then but now that I'm approaching 50 would like a softer set up. 
Cars runs on 195/50/15  tires.
Urethane bushings.
Eibach ( pro kit ?  ) I believe . Lowers car 1 to 1.5 inches.
Tokico Gaz shocks .
K Mac adjustable camber plates.

Pros
The car rides like its on rails It can switch lanes at 80 MPH on the highway with a flick of the Wrist.
Needless to say it handles great.

Cons
Steering when parked very heavy ! I know this is the tires, but I will keep them for now.
It really feels like there"s very little flex in the suspension, very harsh ride .
Over bumps at high speed my butt literally leaves my seat almost hitting the headliner !

I'm considering changing the shocks .If so what shock would be compatible with the Eibachs
I had a stock Tii in the 90's and remember that it handled great with the factory suspension.
Considering going back to Spax or maybe Koni since there adjustable ?
Thx in advance

billie hd or koni sa......

but revisit what springs u have...and the rates too

d u have all rubber bushes?..or poly?

3 hours ago, jrkoupe said:

billie hd or koni sa......

but revisit what springs u have...and the rates too

d u have all rubber bushes?..or poly?

Have poly bushings, Just took the car for a ride . man it handles great.

But it feels heavy , like a tank ! 

I haven't driven a stock 02 in 30 years If I recall  they are  nimble  correct ? 

Im beginning to think the wide low profile tires may be the main reason the car feels so heavy.

Are Tokico known to be very stiff shocks ? When I push down on the car it barely moves 2 inches . 

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

I think you'll find a lot of your car's stiffness comes from the urethane bushings.  Larger sway bars have no influence over ride softness, and aftermarket springs (like H&R) that are progressive still provide a comfortable ride, stiffening up only when compressed, like under heavy cornering.  Dunno about how the Totiko gas shocks compare with Bilsteins--HD or sport, so if the Totikos trend towards the Bilstein Sports, then that is definitely a factor. 

I am well over 50, so when I redid my suspension about 7-8 years ago I went with stock rubber bushings except for the swaybar mounts and end links, H&R progressive springs, Bilstein HDs and 22/19 sway bars.  Ride is still comfortable--esp compared with my 318is which has urethne bushings and Bilstein Sports--but handles much better (a lot less lean on cornering) than a stock setup.  In fact I can't tell much difference in ride comfort between that car and my '69, whose suspension is completely stock except for Bilstein HD shocks/struts.

mike