jrhone

Built not bought....Homemade Euro "style" turn signals...comments?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I had an old turn signal that had a shattered lens from when someone hit my car and didn't leave a note.  SO I got to thinking...can I modify this to be more like the Euro turn signals?  I removed the foam seal, pulled out the remnants of the yellow sense and then modified the bulb holder so it was tucked in further to allow fitment of a straight lens.  Then I went to Home Depot and got some clear flexible acrylic plastic.  I then cut and modified it to fit exactly.  Used a little heat in one spot to melt the acrylic so it was able to be perfectly fit.  Now I have a clear lens Euro "style" turn signal.  My initial thought is to tint or smoke the plastic to have a smoked look and use a yellow bulb to be legal.  I am also thinking about yellow translucent tape maybe?  Like the kind used to tape up broke lights. Ideas on how to fully pull this off?  The nice part about this is that I drilled out the rivet to be able to slip in the new plastic.  I could now separate the frame from the bulb holder and have it rechromed so I could take old dingy US signals, rip them about have the frame rechromed, put it back together with a new foam gasket and a flush plastic lens and you have a better than new condition Euro style lens for a fraction of the price of a used Euro.  Here are some pics of where I am now.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Edited by jrhone

Nice! Some additional thoughts on the lens:

1. Amber colored plastic from a commercial plastic supply shop, you might be able to have the bend/cut it for you too

2. Transparent yellow tinted automotive vinyl from a place that does car wraps, like the 3M lens protector stuff

3. Transparent model paint

Good job.  Yes a commercial plastic house will have a lot of choices.  You might try poly carbonate as it is bendable.

Yes. I have been running them for about 3 months. I ordered a smoked gray sheet of acrylic plastic and used a yellow bulb. 

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

Edited by jrhone

Looks great, do you know the thickness by chance? I have some lexan about 1/16 thick.

Edited by theNomad

2 hours ago, Guest_anonymous said:

Same concept. He just uses yellow plastic and a white plastic diffuser on the inside. The concept is simple. The hard part is getting the right plastic lens. On my car I went with smoke gray because the yellow was too far off from stock and with my tinted windows the tinted turns seem to fit. 

On 11/27/2016 at 1:06 AM, jrhone said:

Yes. I have been running them for about 3 months. I ordered a smoked gray sheet of acrylic plastic and used a yellow bulb. 

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

I dig your lenses, but most of all I like the ingenuity...Thanks for sharing.