Sign in to follow this  
deschodt

Normal brake pedal travel on 2002?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

So as I found out by accident while changing wheels, my front right brakes were always on to a degree (enough to prevent me from rotating the wheel without effort, not enough to stop the car). Got that fixed with a new caliper, fluid, and bleeding...

However, whereas the pedal was very firm from the very top of travel before, now I have what feels like 2" of travel from the top position before it brakes... But it does brake well.... I'm wondering if I need to rebleed, or of my previous caliper issue was what was triggering a super high brake pedal before...  What's normal? How much slack should there be on the brake pedal before actual braking ? 

You probably need more bleeding, and/or double-check the rear shoe adjustment. The brake pedal should start to firm up near the top of travel.

1 minute ago, Drosselhebel said:

You probably need more bleeding, and/or double-check the rear shoe adjustment. The brake pedal should start to firm up near the top of travel.

+1

Yeah, probably, but drive on it a bit, and brake hard a few times.

And THEN rebleed.

The seals on the calipers are the 'retraction' mechanism for the pistons,

to keep the pads from dragging.  A new caliper's seals will be more aggressive about

pulling the pistons back than a well- used one, so your travel will probably improve a bit

with high pressures and high heat.  And time.  Plus, the tiny air bubbles that get trapped

on the inside surfaces of the caliper will migrate up to the bleeder, and eventually get bled out.

I always find it takes 2- 4 bleeds, over time, to really get the last of the air out of a new caliper.

fwiw,

t