Sign in to follow this  
kmoy2002

Blaupunkt Frankfurt identification and installation questions

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I recently picked up a loose Blaupunkt radio with a very vague description on Craigslist but for $20 why not. I asked the owner what kind of car he pulled it from and he replied a 325i which seems odd since this radio appears much older than the e30 generation. Anyways, I have zero knowledge whatsoever regarding this radio and was hoping someone can shed some knowledge.

Do any board members have any insight as to which BMW model this came from? Is this period correct (I own a '73)? It appears to be a BMW supplied radio based on the co-branded Blaupunkt/BMW. I ask this so I can cross reference realoem.com for the faceplate, mounting hardware and wiring harness.

If not, does anyone know where I can get the faceplate? Do I need some sort of DIN bracket to hold the unit in? Thoughts as to where I can get the speaker harness? Appears to accept two speakers.vDPZRaO.jpg

bbRaBRn.jpgCdshPRD.jpgrOJ8Ozg.jpg

It's a Frankfurt vintage 1976 and later, it has the two rows of push buttons.  And it is stereo. BMW doesn't sell a harness of any kind and you don't need one either.  It only needs power (red), ground (brown) and speaker plugs.  If it doesn't have speaker plugs which are paired together for each channel you can buy banana plugs from an electronics store.  And it will mount with the shafts and a simple strap to hold the back up (maybe).  Faceplates can be found on eBay, seller vintageblau I believe.

A quick search yields a lot, e.g., on "Blaupunkt dating", yields lots, such as:

As Chris noted, yours is a 1976 model, albeit manufactured in 1978 ("K" prefix to the serial number). This model just caught the very last of the U.S.-spec '02's, appearing more often in U.S. e21's.  Here's an example manufactured in 1979 ("L" prefix).  I've thus far seen examples manufactured in 1977, 1978, and 1979.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

Edited by Conserv

If you want to be completely "period correct" for your '73, you need a Blaupunkt radio with a single row of pushbuttons.  My '73 had a dealer installed (they all were--no US 2002s came with radios from the factory) AM-FM mono Blaupunkt with a single speaker mounted in one of the cardboard panels under the dash, way over between the glovebox and cowl side.  But stereo radios were available in 1973; guess my car's original owner (an AF captain) didn't want to pop for the more expensive stereo or one with a cassette player.

mike

8 hours ago, mike said:

a dealer installed (they all were--no US 2002s came with radios from the factory)

Mine did, a factory delivered US car with the radio.  Didn't play it much in Europe, I'm not multilingual.  Didn't play it much in the US either, too much other noise plus there isn't much of value to listen to.

Edited by jimk

What Mike is saying is that if it were delivered in the US then the dealer installed it.  Yours was delivered in Germany it seems.

2 hours ago, HBChris said:

Yours was delivered in Germany it seems.

It seems that way since I took the factory delivery!

But it is a US car (meets the Federal Stds of the day).

For the "European delivery" program, a.k.a., "factory delivery", there is a unit that preps the cars and performs all the functions a U.S. BMW dealership would ordinarily perform if you were taking delivery Stateside.  This unit preps the car after it rolls off the assembly line, not while it is rolling down the assembly line.  So Jim's car, for instance, rolled off the assembly line and, rather than be shunted to a holding yard for export cars, went to the European delivery unit, where the car received a radio, had its rear view mirror installed, had the tool kit tidily stored under the trunk floor, was washed and cleaned for delivery, and received everything else a Stateside dealership would ordinarily perform.  So, yes, Jim's radio was installed at the factory, but it was not installed on the assembly line, which is what we often mean when we refer to "factory equipment."

There...has that made this topic opaque?  If not, I'm confident I can make it more confusing! ?

Regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

So Jim's car, for instance, rolled off the assembly line and, rather than be shunted to a holding yard for export cars, went to the European delivery unit, where the car received a radio, had its rear view mirror installed, had the tool kit tidily stored under the trunk floor, was washed and cleaned for delivery, and received everything else a Stateside dealership would ordinarily perform

You forgot that they put this and this in the car, mandatory for Germany, if not Europe

Emergency Road Sign.JPG

First Aid Kit 001.JPG

First Aid Kit 002.JPG

Edited by jimk

You're right, Jim, I did forget all those Euro goodies!

Best regards,

Steve