arminyack

Swan neck mirror.....who's actually installed one?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am trying to install a swan neck mirror in the 1968 location (back from the leading edge of the door ala NK installation). I see no way to get a nut on on the forward stud of the mirror, short of gutting the door, then MAYBE I can get my hand in there to get a washer & nut spun on the stud. Am I missing something here? Is the some magical piece of hardware or methodology that allows easy installation of this mirror?

There is a magical captive nut in a cage.  I think realoem shows it, and I THINK it's even still in current production.

Yes, without that, a long wrench with a nut taped into the end is a long, tedious process...

t

The trouble with that captive nut is that the head of the stud/screw that goes thru the base of the mirror is covered up by the neck of the mirror. That being said....I'm about to drill and access hole in my door panel............

Ah! I figured it out! Where the neck meets the base is SUPPOSED to be adjustable; it should swing under spring force made by 2X wave washers inside. Mine was all rusty & fused solid. I little soak in Aerokroil. I got it all apart, cleaned up, and then back together. Now it swings under a spring force as it should, so i can swing it away to clear the head of the screw to tighten it, then swing it back to adjust the mirror to see behind me.