21 posts in this topic Last Reply

IMG_0365 (1).jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0568.jpgHi,

I'm Andy, I've had my beloved '73 2002 for over 3 years now and I've done a few bits while I've had it. It was an automatic but I changed it to 4 speed not long after I got it. I have twin DCOE 40 Webers and a 123 tune fitted. What I want to know is will a 292 Cam make a positive difference? I ask this because I have flat top pistons (I believe to be standard to autos) which have a lower compression. I am told that this was to give better torque at lower revs. I was advised that it may be a bad idea installing the 292 because I could actually lose power but not definitely. If anyone could confirm this it would be great,

Here's my car.

Many thanks, Andy.

Yes not a problem , go for it you will notice the difference .

That's my set up and it runs strong. 

Dual Solex 40DDHs, 123 Ignition, and IE's 292 in a 121 head ( which was decked and might give me a bit more compression, but not much), and a Stahl-like header. 

My 123 curve is steep, but the engine doesn't ping on regular gas, plugs don't show hot, and engine runs cool. 

If your bottom end is in good shape (good compression #s, doesn't burn oil, etc) and you don't have the money for full rebuild and piano tops, I think you will be quite happy with adding a 292 to a base engine. 

I'm very happy with mine. 

PM me, if you'd like. 

Ed Z

great looking car ! RHD !

what kind of air filters are those...they are big? You're cheating yourself of some easy power without velocity stacks, though. 

Neat exhaust heat shield, too. 

Your beautiful engine bay is always gonna have an oily film from that tiny breather filter on the valve cover... :( You really should route a hose to a puke can. 

Very nice build, I love it. 

What Ed said.  Is just the engine from an automatic or is the car?  If still an auto trans, how did you adapt the kick down linkage to work with the dual Webers?

ignore this if you have a manual transmission.

You will not lose power.  The 292 will be fine with the side drafts.  However you should check piston to valve clearance during assembly.  If the head is thin they can touch.

Nice Engine bay! Love the splash of red on the intakes!  I'll borrow that for my sidedraft build!

Jge he stated that he swapped in a 4spd manual shortly after buying it. Beautiful car OP, what wheels are those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My build with IE 292 Reground CAM and flat top pistons...  Was very happy with the results.

Mark92131

Thank you so much for your comments and advice. Is there a section where I can post my story?

On 9 July 2016 at 2:17 PM, zinz said:

That's my set up and it runs strong. 

Dual Solex 40DDHs, 123 Ignition, and IE's 292 in a 121 head ( which was decked and might give me a bit more compression, but not much), and a Stahl-like header. 

My 123 curve is steep, but the engine doesn't ping on regular gas, plugs don't show hot, and engine runs cool. 

If your bottom end is in good shape (good compression #s, doesn't burn oil, etc) and you don't have the money for full rebuild and piano tops, I think you will be quite happy with adding a 292 to a base engine. 

I'm very happy with mine. 

PM me, if you'd like. 

Ed Z

great looking car ! RHD !

what kind of air filters are those...they are big? You're cheating yourself of some easy power without velocity stacks, though. 

Neat exhaust heat shield, too. 

Your beautiful engine bay is always gonna have an oily film from that tiny breather filter on the valve cover... :( You really should route a hose to a puke can. 

Very nice build, I love it. 

Thank you for your advice. RHD standard over here in England fella :D

The filters are period Webers.

I do have velocity stacks, they are inside the filters.

The breather filter doesn't seem to give off any vapour and the engine doesn't use up any oil. That said, the vapour is a free rust prevention for the engine bay?;) You're right though, I should vent it to a can of some sort.

One of the 02Forum members said the heat shield was very 'Game of Thrones' which I thought was funny.

I'm pondering on VW Golf MK1 arches just before it goes for a respray later this year. I've got a spare wing so I'm gonna do the old one with a repair arch and mock it up to see if I like it. Then I can get some wheels with decent dishes; the 02 standard offset is way too big.

On 9 July 2016 at 4:44 PM, jireland2002 said:

You will not lose power.  The 292 will be fine with the side drafts.  However you should check piston to valve clearance during assembly.  If the head is thin they can touch.

I did have the head skimmed and it measured less than 1mm off the stock dimension.

On 9 July 2016 at 5:59 PM, kid2002 said:

Jge he stated that he swapped in a 4spd manual shortly after buying it. Beautiful car OP, what wheels are those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheels are ATS Classic 13" x 6J.  I so want them in 8J when I do the arches. If I can't I'll get some banded steelies.

1 hour ago, AndySals said:

I did have the head skimmed and it measured less than 1mm off the stock dimension.

You should still check valve clearance and measure the volume of the heads in CCs.  

Zach

Stacks under the filters... but, of course.  Very cool, indeed.

Send Danco a PM here on the FAQ about banded steelies... he's been working on perfecting them.  

Send me your 123 curve, or post it on the 123 Thread... eventually, we should have a library of curves built up for reference.

Love the car.

Ed