• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone tried to DIY Re-vinyl an 02 dash?

LikeStig

Hey everyone,

So I have had my dashboard out of my car for a few weeks and have stared at it enough to decide I'm ready to get the project started. I've read some slightly successful posts on here repairing a cracked dash with different fillers and paints to get an effect which looks good but not factory. Given that long term results have varied and others have had issues with the repaired dash flexing and cracking during installation, I am looking to replicate the process "just dashes" uses with some simplification. My dash is one piece. This is how they do it.

I'm looking for some feedback/experience on what I'm trying to do here before I order all the materials. If you've tried and had bad results please let me know :D

1. In the just dashes video they remove the vinyl completely and apply a new layer of foam. Do you think this same process could be done on the original vinyl with the appropriate surface prep? My inner OCD is tempted to buy some of this foam and give it a shot BUT my dash isn't terrible and doesn't seem to have any crazy foam deep cracks or pieces missing so this may not be necessary. Any thoughts?

2. For vinyl, in an old post Esty mentioned this stuff was recommended by an upholsterer and it keeps coming up from a few sources as a good material so that's the plan right now. I read somewhere that there are "6-way stretch" vinyl's but I have not located a supplier that markets their product that way.

As far as process goes, depending on the type of prep needed I may:

1. Apply the vinyl in 2-3 sections applying it in a way to hide the seams from the separate pieces.

2. Attempt to apply the vinyl as one piece one area at a time, applying glue only to the places which I am working on and spreading it across the surface.

3. Third option would be to replicate their process. I think this would require to refoam the dash to ensure there is a porous layer. My thoughts are (a) pre-glue the vinyl and dashboard completely (b) carefully lay the vinyl along the occupant facing side of the dash ensuring the vinyl is laying flat and even across the initial surfaces (c) seal the excess vinyl behind the dash and slowly apply vacuum from a shop-vac and apply heat from a heat gun where the material needs to stretch.

I think for process I'll have a better idea once I have the material and can see how well it works in complex shapes.

I've not done this, but have dug on it a bit.  Your research matches my research, and you've probably also seen the myriad of DIYs for covering a dash with Alcantara (sub vinyl and you've now got a DIY to reference) and the recommendations for Weldwood HRR (high heat resistant) contact cement.  

I think covering the dash with a high quality 4-way stretch vinyl in sections arranged to hide the seams might be the best approach.  It's how the Alcantara DIYs seem to go.  The number of pieces will be dictated by whether you can get the vinyl to lay flat and not be over stretched.  I've a two piece dash and was thinking of covering the bottom portion separate from the top portion.  Also, I was thinking about not removing the original vinyl, but just patching the cracks, cleaning it well with acetone, and applying the adhesive and vinyl right over the top.

My only hesitancy is whether covering the dash in vinyl will make it look too thick.  I've seen Alcantara covered dashes in person where it did look too thick, but it most noticeable around with A/C vents and center console face plates and such.  That's less of an issue with '02s, of course.

If you move forward, let us know how it goes.  I'm about to move, so won't have time or place to remove my dash for a few months.

Edited by g_force

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

A couple of thoughts.

1. I think you will want to try to minimize the amount of material build-up as much as you can. While vinyl is relatively thin, if you just lay it on top (not to mention any added foam you choose to put in) some of the fit tolerances will become more challenging. Think about the gaps around the glove box, where there dash mounts below the windshield, and where the heater controls area. Adding an 1/8" of material there could cause you some fitment challenges.

2. A few years ago I had my dash vinyl covered by Only02 down in Vegas. I've been very happy with the results. If you look at the photo, take note of where the seams are. While the seams provide a level of decorative finish, they were placed where they are because that's where the breaks "want" to be. In other words, I think you may be hard pressed to only get seams in non-noticeable locations without risking wrinkling/bunching the material around some of the numerous compound corners.

By all means, give some things a try, but I'd test the theory in a couple of small areas where you can back out if it's not working to your satisfaction. Lastly, you have obviously already discovered The Hog Ring forum, which is great for upholsterers. Also check out the Chechaflo YouTube channel, he has a bunch of great upholstery tutorials and one or two on covering dashes. The videos have no audio as I don't know how good his English is, and they move quite slowly, but they can be very educational.

NewDash1_zpsaee9456e.jpg

1 hour ago, Grover said:

A couple of thoughts.

1. I think you will want to try to minimize the amount of material build-up as much as you can. While vinyl is relatively thin, if you just lay it on top (not to mention any added foam you choose to put in) some of the fit tolerances will become more challenging. Think about the gaps around the glove box, where there dash mounts below the windshield, and where the heater controls area. Adding an 1/8" of material there could cause you some fitment challenges.

2. A few years ago I had my dash vinyl covered by Only02 down in Vegas. I've been very happy with the results. If you look at the photo, take note of where the seams are. While the seams provide a level of decorative finish, they were placed where they are because that's where the breaks "want" to be. In other words, I think you may be hard pressed to only get seams in non-noticeable locations without risking wrinkling/bunching the material around some of the numerous compound corners.

By all means, give some things a try, but I'd test the theory in a couple of small areas where you can back out if it's not working to your satisfaction. Lastly, you have obviously already discovered The Hog Ring forum, which is great for upholsterers. Also check out the Chechaflo YouTube channel, he has a bunch of great upholstery tutorials and one or two on covering dashes. The videos have no audio as I don't know how good his English is, and they move quite slowly, but they can be very educational.

NewDash1_zpsaee9456e.jpg

Grover, this is incredibly helpful! To your first item, I wasn't considering the tolerances around the heater controls as anything to fuss about but I think you're correct. It's sounding more and more likely that I'll forgo redoing the foam. I just watched 20 minutes of the dash recovering video on Chechaflo's channel and that's convinced me to pull the trigger on this route for my project. I need to spend a little more time later watching his videos and having your dash as a reference is great for piecing the sections. Looks nice!

45 minutes ago, MalagaGorilla said:

Personally, I would just fill the cracks and put one of these on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351351222387?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Man for $300 that's a pretty solid deal! Who wants to be the Guinea pig?

1 hour ago, g_force said:

If you move forward, let us know how it goes. 

Ill check out some Alcantara guides, good call and will do!

2 minutes ago, LikeStig said:

Man for $300 that's a pretty solid deal! Who wants to be the Guinea pig?

I have one sitting around in my parts stash, though it seems to be buried now.  I remember being happy with the quality but I can't speak to the fit yet.

54 minutes ago, MalagaGorilla said:

They do, or at least did a year ago.

They still do. I communicated with them several weeks ago and asked the same question. Just be sure to specify it is for LHD when you order. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Anyone tried to DIY Re-vinyl an 02 dash?

Yes.  And threw the whole mess out about 3 days into it.  It sucked.

I didn't know what I was doing.  I'm not sure it would have if I did...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

if you have cracks in your dash and do not cover them with a fairly firm foam they will show through the new covering...any flaw in the dash except color inconsistencies will show...even the best quality upholstery vinyl isn't thick enough to serve as pad and cover

the 4-way stretch vinyl is a thinner material than most other upholstery vinyls

FWIW

FWIW,

There are about a dozen new 3 piece dashes left in OEM inventory in Germany. W & N has them for 897 euros apiece, which is a lot cheaper than Just Dashes quote of $1700 to re-do a 2002 dash. They can also be bought at any dealer in the US.

Ernest

• 1 month later...

Echappe, When I talked to my parts guy he said he has not seen any become available for a while. Maybe they are out there, I didn't put too much effort into searching.

Just wanted to update folks on how this went, I gave up after a few hours of stripping the vinyl just like Toby. Upon closer inspection the foam on the dash had became unglued around the gauges. I was contemplating how to glue the foam back in place, began adding up the cost of materials and considered the reality that my repairs had no warranty. What a headache, but I bought a perfect 1-piece dash for very fair price which was good value when considering the cost of repair.

Anyone thinking of trying this should use a DA sander to remove the vinyl from 90% or areas. Peeling the vinyl works, but around cracked areas (and areas where the foam is thin on the metal frame) the foam is very brittle, same is true for hard corners. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg