PaulTWinterton

Not very nice...ferry nice.

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Took the car to Vancouver Island from mainland British Columbia to spend the weekend in Victoria.  The only way to get there is by ferry.  A massive 470 car, 2100 passenger ferry.

I'm sure some would agree that crowding onto a ferry can make you cringe.  That's what I felt when I was waved forward by the traffic guy "to within 18 inches of the car in front of you, please".  The proverbial sardine can.

On the outbound ferry ride I was offered the over-height  deck, also known as the "truck" deck.  The ticket lady informed me, "The hot rod guys prefer the extra space".  So of course I said yes.  On the way home my ticket lady was not so friendly.  Got home unscathed though.

Tip:

So if you're ever planning to visit a place that requires the use of a massive ferry...always ask for the truck deck.  Less chance of playing bumper cars with the tourists.

FerryRides.jpg

Last time I took one across Lake Michigan, they didn't even let me drive the car onto the ferry.  That's right, some random guy just jumped in and drove my 02 on and off the ferry.

It is always nice to be one of the last cars to fit on the boat.  

058.JPG

This photo was taken on my way home from the 02 meetup last October, at Harvey Field.

(on the Edmonds/Kingston ferry run)

17 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

So if you're ever planning to visit a place that requires the use of a massive ferry...always ask for the truck deck.  Less chance of playing bumper cars with the tourists.

Paul, excellent advice.

I'm in the process of relocating to Orcas Island, and moving into our new home on August 1. My Targa will probably be spending a fair amount of time on the ferries running about the San Juan Islands.

Living on a peninsula with the only access to and from by car is via ferry, I can relate. Our boat is compact and we are crammed in. Sometimes you have a ferry worker that appreciates your car and gives you a good spot, other times, meh, they treat you like everyone else. Most fellow travelers are respectful but it is stressful nonetheless. Having a spot on the truck/ over-height deck isn't always a guarantee of stress free travel either - could end up placed beside something like this :o:Yikes!.jpg

4 hours ago, JAS said:

Living on a peninsula with the only access to and from by car is via ferry, I can relate. Our boat is compact and we are crammed in. Sometimes you have a ferry worker that appreciates your car and gives you a good spot, other times, meh, they treat you like everyone else. Most fellow travelers are respectful but it is stressful nonetheless. Having a spot on the truck/ over-height deck isn't always a guarantee of stress free travel either - could end up placed beside something like this :o:Yikes!.jpg

Oh, jeeze, I hope they don't screw that up...

heh

t

Yeah, the driver of the rig said he was delivering it to Dr. Evil's subterranean lair. Something about drilling into the earth's mag-ma.:lol:

Seriously, I was eyeing up those straps pretty closely to be sure they were taut.

Then there was the ferry across the Kentucky River we took on a 2002 outing from Shakertown KY some years ago...the ferry holds four cars (5 if they're 2002s) and is pulled across the river by a cable hooked up to an old Ford or Chevy six.  It took the ferry four trips to get our whole group across the river.

Someone on the board has pictures; I can't find mine...

mike

As a former Edmonds, Washington, resident, I will add that the Washington State ferry personnel were usually nice enough not to cram cars to within cringing distance. But I never lucked out with getting my 2002 to the front or rear for some beauty shots.