bchased

1972 tii

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

http://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/5663148932.html

Thoughts anyone? 

I just missed the 72 for sale last week for $5k an dam super bummed about it.  I might be therapy shopping and over paying, but if I could talk him down, it might not be a bad buy.  He states the rust is all surface. (which they all state)

And this is what I got from vin finder:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2762688 was manufactured on October 11th, 1972 and delivered on October 13th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

We hope this information is helpful for you

Could even be a '73 model year from the looks of the bumpers and intake runners.  Of course the non-Tii snorkel is present, casting further questions - but if the VIN is real, then it's just another damage repair using parts available.  Seems like '72 and '73 Tii's are like waterfront property...  

If the undercarriage is good and the rest checks out. And the body isn't bondo'ed, go for it.

It's a '73 judging from the DOT spaced out bumpers, etc.

Has my fave Frigiking a/c also! :)

Cheers,

It's a 1973 based on the front bumper overriders and the front and rear bumper brackets that moved the bumpers away from the body to comply with the then-new 2.5 mph standard.  The white-on-black emissions tuning sticker at the right end of the heater/defroster plenum is a 1973 model year feature as well (1972 still used the black on silver, self-destructive stock).  Aluminum intake runners and firewall notch began late in the '72 model year, as did the shift of the heater fan control from the instrument binnacle to the slide controls.  So the car, before you even consider the Chamonix paint, is entirely consistent with VIN 2762688 (the 58th U.S.-spec 1973 tii).  There never was a 2752688 VIN produced, so that was obviously a typo. Thus...you've got an early 1973 U.S.-spec tii originally, and still, in Chamonix, with a navy blue interior, except perhaps for the swapped-in e21 front seats.

1975 and later flag mirrors, but looks to be very complete, quite stock, and quite original.

Certainly worth a good examination and careful consideration at $8,750!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It's definitely a 1973 based on front bumper overriders, and the front and rear bumper brackets that moved the bumpers away from the body to comply with the then-new 2.5 mph standard.  Aluminum intake runners and firewall notch began late in the '72 model year, as did the shift of the heater fan control to the slide controls.  So 2762688 is entirely consistent with that VIN (the 58th U.S.-spec 1973 tii).  There never was a 2752688 VIN produced, so obviously a typo.  So...you've got an early 1973 U.S.-spec tii originally, and still, in Chamonix, with a navy blue interior, except perhaps for the swapped-in e21 front seats.

1975 and later flag mirrors, but looks to be very complete, quite stock, and quite original.

Certainly worth a good examination and careful consideration at $8,750!

Regards,

Steve

I agree with you.

:D:P

Is there anyone on the forum that would be willing to test drive this car for me?  I've been in contact with the seller and have seen some additional photo's.  It seems decent as in not a complete basket case.  I'm no where near Peoria, Il but am interested in a running 2002tii of this ilk that does not have through rust to tinker with.  I'm a noob so please forgive me if this is a question or request that should be directed elsewhere on the site.  Is Scottie Sharpe still around to PM?