Russkcpa

Wipers will not park-Updated with pretty pictures

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted this topic earlier without pictures

Just to reiterate my wipers will not park. They just keep going until I shut off the car. Here are some pictures of the contacts under the "tuna cover" f

I have read these posts and understand how the parking mechanism works

Wiper Motor Fix (Mike Self's Roundel Column)

Any Wiper Motor Wiring Gurus Out There?

Wiper motor wires

Wiper Repairs

I have cleaned the inside where the contacts are

I have cleaned the contacts and the "tracks"

I have cleaned the ground. All wires look intact.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Russ

bmw 018.JPG

bmw 019.JPG

bmw 020.JPG

bmw 021.JPG

You and I have the same view right now. My wipers were not working at all when I got it back from my painter. After cleaning a pound of sandblast media out of all my switches, motors, relays and reinstalling. My wipers are working but stay on until the power is cut too. 

I have a feeling in my case (I tested my motor before putting back in th car) that the inner plate in the "tuna can" didnt get lined up in the right spot after I tested my motor. But I am following your thread. I need some help too. 

help! & Good luck.

Ok so before I disassembled mine I marked the positions the spindle was in on the outside of the motor. 

For what its worth, Mine was in this positions. 

May not help but who knows maybe it will. 

image.jpg

Oh hey, look what I just found. I'm soldering this back on right now. I'll let you know if this solves things.

image.jpg

Make sure all three of those contacts on the underside of the "tuna can" lid are making good contact with the disk.  They are the key to the parking mechanism...note that the tracks in which they ride are metal except for an section that's plastic.  On the innermost section the track is mostly metal; on the middle one it's all metal, and on the outer one there's a plastic section.  This mechanism is how the wiper motor is turned off, as the motor continues to receive current whenever the ignition is on--why your wipers won't turn off if the parking mechanism is damaged or inoperative. 

It wouldn't hurt to do a continuity test from the wires outside the can lid to the contacts inside.  

mike

Would a broken wire in the stalk allow for the wipers to stay on? Not entirely sure how to test it without just getting a new turn signal switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sort77