arminyack

My damn doors...

17 posts / 1429 viewsLast Reply

Ok, It's time for me to deal with my doors. They wont latch properly, come open with nothing more than going over a speed bump too fast, they rattle, they stick closed and will only open from the outside / visa versa. 

Who's got the 411, the scoop, the definitive guide on what hardware/bushings/random plastic pieces I desperately need to have a set of solid doors! Real oem.com isn't shedding too much light in this area...

TIA!

(edited)

Looks like you need a new rubber bump stop and "corn kernel". Here's what mine look like.

thumb.jpgthumb (1).jpg

Are you sure that's a cat? Can't help you with that.

Edited by peterschop

Agree with Peter--use a proper "corn kernel" and replace the torn rubber guide that's above the latch on the door itself.  Also, if you look closely at the catch on the door frame, it appears to have dropped down a couple of mm (look at the paint line along the top).

Those catches adjust up and down as well as in and out.  Install the new guide and kernel, then adjust the catch plate.

That poor cat--did you shave it so you could re-flock the glovebox?  Or is it a blue-eyed Chihuahua?

mike

• Like 1

(edited)

Stupid question, is the kernel supposed to go on the latch easily? Had read in a another thread about boiling it in water if anyone else has some ideas about getting the darn thing on. Thanks.  

Edited by radiocure

Side note, your cat creeps me out... I imagine petting it feels analogous to what my grandma's flappy arm-skin felt like when I was a kid. 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

My corn-kernals slipped right on, easy-peasy. 

Ah OK, very frustrating getting them to go.

Hah, not mine, a dog person myself.

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

the gromits that go in the ends of the push rods for the door opener, and one for the lock. 

These are THE magic.  The best $15 I ever spent on my car. 

(edited)

Your cat reminds of Ren on the Ren and Stimpy adult cartoon

IMG_2491.JPG

Edited by iinca

11 hours ago, radiocure said:

Ah OK, very frustrating getting them to go.

Sometimes I've had to tap them on with a mallet.  Never broken one.  Upside: they're under 4 bucks and they instantly solve the "door-half-closed" issue. 

Another cheap fix is new sound-deadening material on the inside of the outer door skin.  Door will close with a "thud" instead of sounding like a hollow trash can.

• Like 1