• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seattle Area Steel Wheel Straightening

Jam3422

I have a set of CMR Alpina steel wheels that need some love.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Seattle area that can I can trust to straighten steel wheels, and maybe paint them?  I stopped by Dependable (Tim Foster) in Renton today, and he's retired.  He was in the shop wrapping things up, and couldn't recommend anyone local to the work.

Thanks

1971 2002ti

I've used Complete Wheel Repair in Queen Anne right off 99, and they were good, but not the cheapest at $125/wheel for a small bend in the lip (13" wheels). Factory Direct Tire in Edmonds fixed a couple bent wheels for me last week, and they also did a good job at ~$85/wheel for straightening (15" wheels). Not sure if either will do a paint job, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Now let's see some photos of the CMR Alpina wheels!

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Thanks.  Here's the worst of the bunch, but they all need some work.  Skip's in Portland is highly recommended for vintage steel wheels, but I'm trying to avoid that drive (or shipping).

CME Alpina 001.JPG

1971 2002ti

On 6/23/2016 at 4:20 PM, Jam3422 said:

I have a set of CMR Alpina steel wheels that need some love.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Seattle area that can I can trust to straighten steel wheels, and maybe paint them?  I stopped by Dependable (Tim Foster) in Renton today, and he's retired.  He was in the shop wrapping things up, and couldn't recommend anyone local to the work.

Thanks

Woah woah woah. Back up. Dependable wheel is closed?! That's a shame.... I just called a couple weeks ago to ask about getting a wheel fixed and they said nothing about this. Shame to loose another good, old school business. I've already lost Vic's Renton Frame, now Dependable Wheel.... :/

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yeah, I agree, big bummer.  He's having some health issues I guess.  His website now has the announcement up.  He knew what I had, and said without really saying, he wouldn't recommend any of the alloy shops in town for these steel wheels.  He said there was a guy in Centralia that could do it, but he was an "oldtimer" the last time he had contact with him, which was more than 5 years ago.  I'll probably just end up sending them or taking them to Skips in Beaverton.

1971 2002ti

Or bring them over here.

I'll bet we can get them straightened out.

One of my early steel wheels looks a lot like your 'worst' one.

I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Toby replied to a similar question on the forum yesterday, with a technique similar to what I want to try.

Installing the wheel on the front hub of my car, I will set up a pointer and give it a spin.

I will cut out a block of wood, to match the OD and set the wheel/car down in it, to pound it back.

I will do the pounding with another block of wood, cut to fit the ID of the lip and may use some aluminum bar stock as well.

That steel is soft and easy to move, assuming the bend is just in the outer lip.

If it has warp or wobble, that is beyond what I would anticipate being able to correct.

I have a degree in Pottery ... same thing, only steel, instead of clay  : )

this set up showed me that my worst one is bent more than I'd expect to be able to straighten.

.100" out of round... in 'several places'

(I did add lug nuts to the equation)

it was an easy set up... which inspired me to take the axles off the trailing arms.

that in itself is progress.

I like the idea of spinning the wheels on this, while cleaning them up with a wire wheel.

In fact, the wheel does a good job of spinning them.

I have a hard time paying anyone to work on my stuff, but I do see the logic in sending things to people who specialize in what you need done.

This particular rim is 'done'.

...merely an early 4 1/2" rim.

not Alpina.

005.JPG

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Dont tell me I gave you crappy wheels.... And glad you added lug nuts since a 2002 is a lug centric car!

-Nathan

Well, glad I could supply at least a few good parts! LOL

• Haha 1

-Nathan

• 1 month later...

I found a place in Tacoma that straightened and powder coated for $100/ea (cash).  That's cheap in the wheel conditioning world.  The lips are not perfect, but they are very good.  They nailed the color I was looking for.  The guy that mounted and balanced said they were "dead straight".  I think the guy that did the work was pretty young - I never actually met him, I dealt with his father.  Let me know if you want his contact info.  Like most people, he mostly deals with alloy wheels.

Refinished 009.JPGIMG_20160828_090656_976 (2).jpg

• Like 1

1971 2002ti

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors