bublinki

How common were power sunroofs?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a '76 with a sunroof and viewed on Ebay, a really clean '76 that the seller states has a "factory power sunroof". 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-/301991750919?#description

I was just curious if anybody knows how common of an option that was and maybe what year BMW started this on 02's?

Also, anybody have any guesses as to what the switch just to the right of the heater control is used for? Maybe that is the sunroof control? It looks like a fan symbol is printed on it.

weird switch.jpg

It should be connected to your manual choke, with the ability to lock the choke position.

Mark92131

34 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

It should be connected to your manual choke, with the ability to lock the choke position.

Mark92131

Yes, but...this is a U.S.-spec 1976, which came with an automatic choke.  That knob wasn't on this car when it left the factory, although it is placed in the manual choke location.  I've seen owners use that spot for stereo faders and fog light switches.  I'm confident there are a dozen other potential uses for the spot,

Regards,

Steve

As mentioned above, BMW did offer a motorized sunroof.  The mounting bracket for the motor is even in my May 69 2002.  Guess Golde pre made the cassette for several cars and features. The switch and bezel fits where the hand crank recess is located.

A few years ago, I passed up a chance to score a 72-73 roundie Taiga tii shell that had a power sunroof in So Cal. I settled for a 74 tii Sahara shell; sorry gang but it's hip to be square (after Euro bumper conversion). That's the only one I've seen but they are out there but they are rare.

G-Man

Power sunroofs were an option for all cars with 12 V electrics.

For what I´ve seen over the years on EURO/german cars to my estimates maybe only 10-15% were ordered with a factory sunroof in general. Among those the ones with power sunroof again were a relatively small number. So it was available but is indeed quite rare.

As Jim has written above all manual factory sunroofs can be motorized with not too big problems, if you have the needed parts (which is about enough of a problem though). At least no cutting or whelding needed.

Best regards, Lars.

In 46 years of messing with 2002 I can only remember seeing one US-spec electric sunroof car, and it was a late squarelight:  probably either (1) an overseas delivery not ordered through Hoffman--i.e. military or diplomatic sales or (2) one produced after BMW NA took over the US market in the spring of 1975.   During his time as the US importer Hoffman really limited the options that were available on US cars --why we didn't get convertibles or Tourings--extra spare parts to carry, and why at least in the early days there were so few color choices for 2002s.  

As was pointed out, underneath the headliner are the brackets for the sunroof motor, and I suspect a little work with the parts books for senior sixes (2500/2800/Bavaria) and early coupes would show that the sunroof motor for them is the same as that fitted to the Euro 2002s.  Thus converting your manual sunroof would be fairly easy if you could find the parts from a salvage yard coupe or big six.  

But...other than the brag factor, the hand-cranked manual sunroof has just that many fewer parts to break or wear out over the electric model.  

mike

Thanks everybody for your comments. Very informative. I was away at a seminar for 4 days(yay, fluorescent lighting in a hotel ballroom for 8 hours a day!:angry:) and have not had time to view the website.

The owner did write back to me and said it was a choke cable. I was not familiar with what looked like a fan symbol on the knob. Also I did not think you needed a choke cable on a '76, I though it was on older models.

Have a great 4th everybody!!

Philip

5 hours ago, bublinki said:

...The owner did write back to me and said it was a choke cable. I was not familiar with what looked like a fan symbol on the knob. Also I did not think you needed a choke cable on a '76, I though it was on older models.

Have a great 4th everybody!!

Philip

Philip,

I'd say an owner of the '76 has fitted an MGB choke cable to a manual-choke Weber, not the most common set-up! 

And a great Fourth of July to you as well!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Mike,

first you´re right on the sunroof motor, it has the same part number for 02, E3, E9 and E12.

But please let me ask a question: Where power sunroofs a less rare option for Coupes and Big Sixes in US? I´m not a real expert on these cars (nor am I for 02 maybe) but for the EURO E3/E9 I´ve seen so far there also only a very small number was equipped with a power sunroof. So it might be hard to find a donor car among those, too, despite the fact that on the salvage yards over here around my hometown Frankfurt you hardly don´t see any E30s anymore not to mention anything older.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina