Sign in to follow this  
jrhone

Car stumbles at high RPMs when the fuel is under half a tank. Ideas??

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I think my car is having this issue. I noticed it recently but wanted to drive it a bit under various fuel levels and it seems like I have a high RPM stumble only when the fuel tank is under half a tank. Maybe 1/4 tank. Fill it up and it runs smoother and has zero high RPM stumbles. The stumble are not huge just a single slight hesitation then it goes great. Ideas? Common problem? I replaced my fuel pump not too long ago thinking this was a problem. New carb. New fuel filter. Is there an in tank filter? I replaced the fuel level sender a few years back. Thanks!!

In-tank filter.  It sounds like the screen on the intake is just starting to get critically plugged up with sediment.  With a full tank of gas there is enough pressure to get past the screen, but with less fuel it's at that point where it's not able to suck fuel fast enough for the high engine rpms.

I had that problem and diagnosed it quickly.  Sometimes you chase your tail forever.  Sometimes you get lucky.   I got lucky.

The filter is quite robust.  You can clean it with solvent and re-use.  I did once.  Buy a replacement anyway, they are not expensive.

Paul and I are on the same wavelength. Hope your screen hasn't fallen off the bottom of the sending unit...