Road trip

Spare tire well exterior color ?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Should the spare tire well be black like most of the underside or painted

to match exterior color ?

or both ?

Well...the underside of an '02 was orginally black on Schwarz cars, but only on Schwarz cars!  The underside was theoretically the car's exterior color.  I say "theoretically" because wheel wells were fully painted but the remainder of the underside was generally thinly painted, and the body color grew progressively thinner as you moved further from the rocker panels.  The transmission tunnels were often simply primer with a light and un-even overspray of body color.  If you see an '02 with a uniformly painted or "drool-worthy" underside, the underside has been re-painted post-factory!

Subframes were black or darkish green.  There are long threads on that particular topic.  Gas tanks were uniformly black.

Some '02's received black undercoating or "rust-proofing" at the delivering dealership or at rust-proofing firms such as Ziebart, but these were strictly post-factory applications.  Cars continue to receive black undercoating today, sometimes for aesthetic reasons, sometimes out of mis-perceived notions of originality, sometimes to "tidy up" color-changed cars, sometimes to conceal rust and body damage or the repair thereof, and sometimes in the hope of preventing future rust.

In the photos below, you can see how thin the factory Inka paint is above my '73's diff and fuel pump, barely covering the factory primer.  I do note that there is some (bright Inka) post-factory overspray visible on the aft end of the spare tire well and tow hook, but much of the underside retains the raw and un-finished factory appearance (albeit with post-factory grease and filth added).

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Steve is absolutely right.  My car has pale Inka paint on most of the bottom.  Where it is least visible is vulnerable areas that get lots of road debris.  In those areas the grey/beige primer is now prevalent.

I was lucky.  I picked a car that had oil leaks.  As CD used to say, "Oil leaks are good.  They keep the bottom of the car from rusting".

I was not so lucky in the spare tire well.  I got pinhole rust from dirty wet tires sitting in the well for years.  This past winter I had a new bottom welded-in and at the same time I cleaned the trunk and underside down to metal and completed a POR15 process.

DSC02997.JPG

Next winter I'll attack the rear sub-frame and underside up to the engine. Maybe!

Edited by PaulTWinterton

3 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Steve is absolutely right.  My car has pale Inka paint on most of the bottom.  Where it is least visible is vulnerable areas that get lots of road debris.  In those areas the grey/beige primer is now prevalent.

I was lucky.  I picked a car that had oil leaks.  As CD used to say, "Oil leaks are good.  They keep the bottom of the car from rusting".

I was not so lucky in the spare tire well.  I got pinhole rust from dirty wet tires sitting in the well for years.  This past winter I had a new bottom welded-in and at the same time I cleaned the trunk and underside down to metal and completed a POR15 process.

Next winter I'll attack the rear sub-frame and underside up to the engine. Maybe!

DSC02997.JPG

Thanks for posting, Paul,

But Paul's spare tire well today is far more beautiful than any that came from the factory!  It's so hard to duplicate a bad finish, seriously!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for posting,

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

But Paul's spare tire well today is far more beautiful than any that came from the factory!  It's so hard to duplicate a bad finish, seriously!

Thank you for your kind words.  Funny, I do worry that I'm making it TOO pretty underneath.  Ideally it should look like it did in the showroom in 1973.  Not going to happen.

As a hobbyist I can only preserve the car.  I'll let the next guy do a ground-up restoration. 

On both my roundies ('69 & '73) the portion of the spare tire well that's immediately in front of the rear body panel had a pretty good coat of finish paint on it; same with the little bit that protrudes below the left quarter panel.  The rest, not so much.  

The bottom and edges that face forward and towards the muffler were mostly grey primer with only light overspray in body color.  

I bought the '69 new and the '73 from the original owner in 1978 so the above was how they came from the factory.  

cheers

mike

Thank you everyone 

I can see how this could be done

different ways and still be correct

i appreciate the time spent composing

the reply's to my question

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Road trip said:

Thank you everyone 

I can see how this could be done

different ways and still be correct

i appreciate the time spent composing

the reply's to my question

image.jpg

Yeah, that's the way.  Stop there!

Regards,

Steve

I generally agree to what is written above.

If it comes to the factory underbody coating (which is not black but kind of yellowish white) it is reported for EURO cars, that the ones delivered to the northern countries (e.g. Sweden) should have that coating applied a bit more thick than the cars delivered to the south (e.g. Italy or Spain). Have seen presumably still original cars brought back to Germany from Italy/Spain that definitely came with less factory underbody coating than typical german delivered cars from the same year. Haven´t seen (or don´t remember) any northern car though. Don´t know any details for US delivered cars.

EURO 02s: The later the car was built the more underbody coating, paint was sprayed right upon the coating.

Best regards, Lars.

If it comes to the factory underbody coating (which is not black but kind of yellowish white) it is reported for EURO cars, that the ones delivered to the northern countries (e.g. Sweden) should have that coating applied a bit more thick than the cars delivered to the south (e.g. Italy or Spain). Have seen presumably still original cars brought back to Germany from Italy/Spain that definitely came with less factory underbody coating than typical german delivered cars from the same year. Haven´t seen (or don´t remember) any northern car though. Don´t know any details for US delivered cars.

EURO 02s: The later the car was built the more underbody coating, paint was sprayed right upon the coating.

Best regards, Lars.

4 hours ago, LarsAlpina said:

Best regards, Lars.

Lars,

Are you referring to the rubberized schutz that is applied particularly in the wheel wells, and then top-coated with body color?  We got that on U.S. cars, except for the earliest cars.  This is the '73 (Inka) and '76 (Polaris).

Best regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

yes this is what I was referring to. "Überlackierbarer Steinschlagschutz" and sometimes "Antidröhn" it is called in german.

Best regards, Lars.

An excellent example of an original from-the-factory '02 underside, this one on a Euro-spec RHD tii undergoing a complete rebuild.  It's an Agave car, but notice how the thinness of the color on the underside allows some areas to be a pale reflection of the intense Agave color.  No shortage of primer showing, especially in the driveline hump.  Wheel wells?  Thickly and fully painted.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg