Utah02

Center Support Bearing Replacement Steps?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey everyone,

I had my CSB go bad a little while back and I finally got around to replacing it. I purchased a new one online and got right to it. I found a thread on here that had some pretty vague instructions so I used that and did my best. After the job was done, I drove the short trip home and parked it. Driving it the next day, I started getting a furious ticking noise that turned into a thumping noise, so I immediately drove back to the garage and put it on  the hoist. Sure enough, one of the bolts on the CSB had vibrated loose and fallen out. Yikes! So I bolted it back up, made sure everything was tight and drove around a little more. It seemed good so I assumed I just forgot to tighten them down the first time. About 2 days later, the ticking and thumping noises came back. Again, I lifted the car and found both bolts still there, but loose. What the heck? I must have installed the bearing incorrect. Does anybody have an idea for what I've done? I guess I will get  under there this weekend and start from square one, taking the drive shaft out and trying to replace it again. That being said, does anybody have a link to a good, step by step process to correctly replacing the bearing? Thank you all in advance.

Colby M

Edited by Utah02

Are you using lock washers? New, correct nuts? Are the original "T" bolts still present in the slots under the car? (They are special bolts, designed to allow for some fore / aft adjustment and slide in the slots, before being tightened. )

I'd avoid using locknuts (nylock or otherwise) as you're likely to twist the T bolt right out of the slot. I save such nuts for areas where I can reach the head of the bolt, to counter-hold it. 

CSB should be pre-loaded a couple mm forward - just slightly, before torquing the nuts. 

Odd…I can't think of any reason they would loosen up, unless you forgot lock washers. I prefer the wave washer type, versus split washers. YMMV.

As long as you have everything lined up right, wave washers and a drop or two of blue permatex threadlocker. Worked for me. 

Huh, I've never used Loctite or lock washers and reused the nuts multiple times, and none have came loose in 11 years or so of regular use.  

You sure you marked the driveshaft properly and put the halves back together exactly the same way? It could be out of balance somehow and shaking things apart.