deschodt

Surflex to dye interior - awesome product

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've used surflex for years on other cars... My door panels were pretty horrible, and there are no early replacement in black with the correct chrome strips. It was time for another dye job... Just putting it up here in case some folks have not heard of surflex - it's a leather/vinyl dye....it's really good. I've done an entire interior 15 years ago that still looks great !  This exercise was not as nice since my 2002 panels are frankly beat up and I painted the chrome strips silver (peeling chrome), but it's an improvement... until someone repros the stock panels anyway. 

As you can see on the first pic - from the color difference, my panels were sad.... After mild cleaning an drying, I applied some surflex with a brush... As it dries it looks like crap, but soon enough it's very nicely uniform, no brush marks (you can use a sponge but I wanted to paint near the silver stripes).... I put the panels back in and decided the door handles looked nasty as well... You can see before they dry they look terrible but dry up perfect...

Just an FYI, of all the automotive products I've ever used, that stuff is miracle in a (somewhat expensive) can. Worth it though. 

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

Would you use it on seats?  What sort of prep work needs to be done?  I have some recaro seats that are black leather with red inserts and I really want to dye them a uniform black.

I would yes. I have, on a Porsche 911.... In fairness, while the dye job lasted 15 years on door panels and rear seats, I had to touch up the seats a couple of times because they see more wear, but that's not hard to do, every few years.. It's a really good product, does not hide patterns, or clog holes...  Prep wise I only ever cleaned the surface and let it dry... 

In your case, bolsters being what take the most beating, I would not hesitate to do the red inserts.

I probably sound like a surflex salesman, but I had forgotten how good that product is, it's rare you find something that delivers anymore. It's like an oil additive that turns out not to be snake oil ;-)  

Finished and touched up a little.. If you'd seen my crappy panels before, you'd be amazed...

IMG_0613.JPG

I've used it on a vinyl dash yes. Not the 2002, a 912.  As far as I know there are plenty of colors but I've only got experience with black, easier I imagine. Going dark works well - no clue how applying a light color would go! 

Prep wise, I've never used anything other than soapy water to clean the target surface. Then let it dry... Anyway I sound more and more like salesman for the stuff - not my intention: try a can if you need to, it's impressive. I saved $$$ vs new panels. 

I have the marine blue vinyl panels.  The blue panels tend to darken over time with exposure to the sun, may be a good way to turn darker panels back to blue.  

10 hours ago, jrhone said:

I have the marine blue vinyl panels.  The blue panels tend to darken over time with exposure to the sun, may be a good way to turn darker panels back to blue.  

I think you can still buy the original look blue panels - but not the black, with the chrome and stuff... I'd have bought new panels (honestly the front corner of mine are ugly), but the dye job bought me another couple years before mobile tradition gets their ass in gear ;-)  Hopefully !