a54atii

FPS "Italian" dealer option wheels -- What are they worth?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a set (of 6) FPS wheels that were supposedly a dealer option in Italy.  I have a friend who is interested in buying them, but I have no idea what they're worth.  I've only seen one set on a 2002 at 02-02-02 in Spartanburg and pictures of a couple of 02s with these wheels.  I love rare parts, so when I saw these come up for sale, I bought them.  I've never seen another set advertised for sale.  I'm trying to come up with a fair and reasonable asking price and I'd like to see what people think these are worth.  Thanks!

Edited by a54atii

Just make up a number...seriously!  They are quite rare in the U.S., as you know, so a set here would trade at a premium.

But they're not so rare in Italy.  FPS even made a rim with the same appearance in a Mini size, 10", and I suspect more sizes may have been available (for cars other than the '02).  I happen to be looking for a set and found a set of 3 on Italian eBay two months ago with a Buy-It-Now price of 67 Euro (about $75).  That was the total price for all 3 rims, not each.  Alas, the seller had zero interest in shipping the rims to the U.S. -- even with my offer of a higher price -- and the listing expired with the rims un-sold.  I'd be willing to pay a LOT more than $25 each!

All of these period 13" rims, especially those UNDER 6" in width, are at an odd place in the market. There are not that many '02 owners (a.) interested in the cars' original feel and appearance -- with 165/80 tires and skinny rims -- AND (b.) willing to to give up the tire choices available in 14" and, especially, 15" sizes. Stated differently, there's a relatively small market for these.  As the cars age -- and inevitably move into the "collector" market -- interest in these smaller period rims may increase.  But by then, the only choice in tires may be the expensive, albeit quite authentic, 165HR-13 Michelin XAS!

Good luck with your sale.  If your buddy doesn't purchase them, please PM me.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

Just make up a number...seriously!  They are quite rare in the U.S., as you know, so a set here would trade at a premium.

But they're not so rare in Italy.  FPS even made a rim with the same appearance in a Mini size, 10", and I suspect more sizes may have been available (for cars other than the '02).  I happen to be looking for a set and found a set of 3 on Italian eBay two months ago with a Buy-It-Now price of 67 Euro (about $75).  That was the total price for all 3 rims, not each.  Alas, the seller had zero interest in shipping the rims to the U.S. -- even with my offer of a higher price -- and the listing expired with the rims un-sold.  I'd be willing to pay a LOT more than $25 each!

All of these period 13" rims, especially those UNDER 6" in width, are at an odd place in the market. There are not that many '02 owners (a.) interested in the cars' original feel and appearance -- with 165/80 tires and skinny rims -- AND (b.) willing to to give up the tire choices available in 14" and, especially, 15" sizes. Stated differently, there's a relatively small market for these.  As the cars age -- and inevitably move into the "collector" market -- interest in these smaller period rims may increase.  But by then, the only choice in tires may be the expensive, albeit quite authentic, 165HR-13 Michelin XAS!

Good luck with your sale.  If your buddy doesn't purchase them, please PM me.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your feedback!  I have come to the same conclusion regarding the market for these wheels and what I should ask.  Unfortunately, "just make up a number" is where I'm stuck!

As a side note, I recently took off some Borrani wheels with 205/60 tires and went back to the stock wheels with 175/70 tires.  Like many others, I find that I enjoy driving the car more with the smaller tires.

Karl

There is rarely a perfect answer to your conundrum, especially if dealing with friends, or relatives of friends, or friendly neighbors.  Similar to interpreting any responses to your post, answers are graded subjectively.

How much is a favor or a friend worth?

As you note, 13"  rare does not automatically mean increased desire or demand (unless you see it on TV).  I had similar wheels in the 14" flavor (with decent tires) that pulled at my neighbor's heart strings - every time he entered my garage.

Instead of me determining a reasonable price, I let him make an offer.  Since he is a neighbor I see now and again in my backyard, as opposed to a faceless stranger, I was concerned that his offer was too high, so I reduced the price - thinking everyone would be comfortable.  Instead, he asked me to throw in “that ‘ol” (period correct and cosmetically perfect) steering wheel, that once adorned an office wall.  Within a few weeks the neighbor conveniently raised the subject of “small” tire size  - a clear indication of this buyer’s remorse.  In an effort to maintain the peace, and in a moment of weakness, the tires found their way to the back of my driveway under a tarp.  I also refunded his payment.  I later asked about the steering wheel and was informed that it had been given to someone else but said “he would make it up to me.”   Through another acquaintance, I discovered the steering wheel was sold for a substantial sum beyond the price of five tires and wheels.  I have no idea whether the neighbor profited from the steering wheel.  Years later, the steering wheel has been dropped from conversation but not forgotten.  The tires and rims were recycled.  I tend to keep the garage doors closed.

Is there a lesson to be learned?  Without being condescending, and following the suggested logic of Steve's “make your own price,”  what would you pay for the rims?  Are you selling them purely as a business venture or more as a favor to a friend?  The price may vary substantially.  Per your post heading, it sure might be interesting if you had documentation for the dealer option to accompany those rims.   But even if the rims were not “rare,” what would any comparable alloy rim - in good/new condition - cost?  Multiply by seis?

PS. The pics suggest the rims are powder coated or refinished.  One might speculate that refinishing may cost something, especially if done well.  Obviously, originality may carry a premium too.  These details can be important.;) 

Edited by avoirdupois

10 hours ago, avoirdupois said:

There is rarely a perfect answer to your conundrum, especially if dealing with friends, or relatives of friends, or friendly neighbors.  Similar to interpreting any responses to your post, answers are graded subjectively.

How much is a favor or a friend worth?

As you note, 13"  rare does not automatically mean increased desire or demand (unless you see it on TV).  I had similar wheels in the 14" flavor (with decent tires) that pulled at my neighbor's heart strings - every time he entered my garage.

Instead of me determining a reasonable price, I let him make an offer.  Since he is a neighbor I see now and again in my backyard, as opposed to a faceless stranger, I was concerned that his offer was too high, so I reduced the price - thinking everyone would be comfortable.  Instead, he asked me to throw in “that ‘ol” (period correct and cosmetically perfect) steering wheel, that once adorned an office wall.  Within a few weeks the neighbor conveniently raised the subject of “small” tire size  - a clear indication of this buyer’s remorse.  In an effort to maintain the peace, and in a moment of weakness, the tires found their way to the back of my driveway under a tarp.  I also refunded his payment.  I later asked about the steering wheel and was informed that it had been given to someone else but said “he would make it up to me.”   Through another acquaintance, I discovered the steering wheel was sold for a substantial sum beyond the price of five tires and wheels.  I have no idea whether the neighbor profited from the steering wheel.  Years later, the steering wheel has been dropped from conversation but not forgotten.  The tires and rims were recycled.  I tend to keep the garage doors closed.

Is there a lesson to be learned?  Without being condescending, and following the suggested logic of Steve's “make your own price,”  what would you pay for the rims?  Are you selling them purely as a business venture or more as a favor to a friend?  The price may vary substantially.  Per your post heading, it sure might be interesting if you had documentation for the dealer option to accompany those rims.   But even if the rims were not “rare,” what would any comparable alloy rim - in good/new condition - cost?  Multiply by seis?

PS. The pics suggest the rims are powder coated or refinished.  One might speculate that refinishing may cost something, especially if done well.  Obviously, originality may carry a premium too.  These details can be important.;) 

I appreciate your thoughtful reply and willingness to share the story of your neighbor.  I agree that there is no perfect answer, but hopefully there is one that will satisfy both the seller and buyer.  I will certainly consider your suggestion to think about "what would you pay for the rims?"  Thanks for sharing.