wegweiser

Vent window head scratch….experiences?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I noticed that on the F Bomb (mid year/early equipment 72 tii), the vent windows don't even open 90 degrees….while I distinctly remember several of my 73s, having the ability to open at least 120 degrees - thereby blowing fresh air across the face of the person sitting on the opposite side of the car. Is this an undocumented gearbox change between the two years, or are they in need of love and attention, to fully function?

I checked out a 73 tii last week, and I believe it was the same limited movement as my 72…. Hrmph.

Thoughts? Provide pre 74 VIN numbers to correspond with range of motion?

Thanks!

It's definitely not the gasket. it's a hard (metal on metal almost) stop. I'm familiar with the :"squishing gasket" feel of the ones I've had that rotated more than 90. I might dive in to my parts stash and see if I have extra gearboxes to tinker with. I mean…it's HOT out there! :)

Paul, you got me curious so I went out and checked the vent windows on my 73 (Dec 72 production) and they open well past 90 degrees--far enough to blow air right on the driver from either vent.  And I know from experience--without having to check--that my '69 (Fweb production) windows do the same thing.  

Didja try both windows on your car to see if they have restricted motion?  could be a lack of lubrication, dead mouse caught in the mechanism from its long barn slumber etc.

mike

I know the ones on my '75 open well past 90. It is absolutely necessary here where I live.

This can happen to over- restored cars.  They become very conservative in their newly- shiny finishes.

A few track days, rock chips, and maybe a good blast up a gravel road will loosen them right up.

t

That settles it. When I pull the panels off (gotta re-adhere the vinyl to the cardboard or otherwise keep them from getting bad) I'll tear in to these gearboxes. And Toby…..I totally deserve that. ;)

Vent window head scratch….experiences?

Yes, once I bumped my head on the pointy top while getting into the car, with the window down.

It left a scratch.  Hurt too.  Be careful out there!