rbaron

Advice on new fuel pump for '74 2002

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I need to replace the fuel pump on my '74 2002, and would like some advice.  A number of sites say a Pierburg pump fits (# 7.02242.25.0 on pump label).  But it seems too short because it will press into the coolant hose that runs from beneath it from temp sensor housing back to intake manifold. The original pump is about 1/2 to 1 inch taller so it goes above and does not touch the coolant hose. Does anyone have advice on whether or not to install the Pierburg pump?  I think it is best to get a BMW pump instead. BMW lists 3 possible pumps (13311265192, 13311265193, 13311257784).  The first one is discontinued and the other two are back-ordered from Germany and it may be a couple months before they get to the US.  One source told me another pump (13311261622) might fit, but BMW tells me that they are not sure since this pump started 9/75.  Does anyone have advice about whether this pump will work in my '74 car?  The car has a Weber carb, if this makes a difference.

I saw your post on the main page and John's advice to contact Steve at Blunttech is a good start.  I bought my shorty pump from him, before I knew better.  It does press on the coolant hose, which is less than ideal, but it's been that way for a few years now, with no leaks.  I know it is sort of silly, but I intend to move the nipple on the water divider (cut/weld), to accommodate my short pump; when I refresh the cooling system.  You were smart to do some research before buying.  I hope you are able to find the longer style.

Tom

Thanks for your affirmation that I should hold out to get the longer style pump. I heard back from Blunttech that they can help, and expect to get information from them Monday morning.

Dan

You're welcome.  Blunt is awesome.  I bought about everything for my car from him, due to such good service.  I almost predicted that you would hear from him over the weekend, but skipped it.  I got an email about an order from him while he was on a fishing trip once!   Good luck.  Tom

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Hey, first post from someone in the Seattle area!

Welcome : )

Way to start off being Helpful, instead of 'help, my car's broken'

( Nothatheresanythingwrongwithat )

Tom:

I try to be helpful occasionally, but usually just end up sucking knowledge out of someone else's brain.

Andy

1 hour ago, Jam3422 said:

This Pierburg works great for me, though I do have sidedrafts.  Lots of clearance.  Plenty of volume for DCOE 40s. I think Blunt can get it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/5458/BMW_5458_FULFUL_pg2.htm#item2

Thanks - That's a different style pump than is on my car.  I believe it uses a longer pushrod.  Here's the Pierburg that I was told would fit, but doesn't because it presses against the coolant hose:  http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2014.cgi?SUPERCAT_FLAG=Y&make=BMW&Context_make=&please_wait=N&LastVisited_input=5478&Previous_Section=&forumid=&threadid=&command=DWsearch&description=fuel+pump&I1.x=0&I1.y=0

I ordered the right one from BluntTech today:  https://blunttech.com/products/3767845 - which works with the pushrod in my car and should clear the coolant hose.