golf73

Rear brakes locked up

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

My car has been sitting in my driveway for a while now and it's time to get it running again. However when I tried to roll it back a little, after releasing the hand brake, it wouldn't move - the rear wheels are locked up. Also, my driveway is not level, with the rear of the car at the bottom of the slope. So I can't jack it up. Not sure how to approach this - should i loosen the hand brake cable, loosen the shoes using the adjuster nuts on the inside of the drums? Pop the clutch in reverse gear? Thanks for any advice...

-Ryan

release the hand brake and put three wheel chocks on the fronts

and the opposite rear. get a heavy mallet and a block of wood.

put the wood against the center of the rim just over the lug nuts

and bang hard on the block of wood. do the same for the other

side . then move all the chocks back a foot and do it again. this

time if you get them loose the car may move back slightly.

as an alternative jack up one wheel while the other three are

chocked and remove the wheel then beat the drum between

the wheel studs until the drum is free.

stone

I think I'd try using the engine to get it to move, THEN start whaling on things (wailing?  Whailing?).  Rocking forwards and

backwards has worked for me in the past.

t

Start it. Warm it up and try to drive it. If it doesn't loosen up quickly at least you will be on a level surface and can remove the wheels to start wailing / whaling. A prayer mat or some type of knee protection may be necessary... And a rubber mallet ...I'm just sayin'

stone02, TobyB and rey949 - thanks for your kind and drama-free responses. Avoirdupois, whoever you are, please don't respond to my posts if you're going to be condescending as you are here. I don't appreciate it and you're barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry you found my response condescending.  It was not intended to be so.  I offered what I thought was a frank response with illustrations of gear pullers to remove a stubborn drum.  But since you disliked the post it has since been deleted.

Who are you, Hillary Clinton? "Details, details.", you said, as if you were so tired of having to respond to posts like mine. "Of course you should loosen the hand brake cable and brake shoes", you pretty much said - can't quote you exactly, since you've deleted your original response. I've never been in this situation before with a car and am unfamiliar how to approach my brake problem which is why I asked. Your response also included an overkill of gear-pulling pictures (4) and what I took as sarcastic remarks. Dial it down, man. I've seen your other posts and a similar tone is there as well. I was hesitant at posting my original question as I thought someone might come out being a smart ass, and I was right. You were that person, congrats!

Edited by golf73

Ok, chill, all.  Sometimes an overpost is just an overpost.  Or a good healthy, cleansing  binge. 

But back to the subject at hand,  that reminds me- if you can get under it, rotate the adjusters all the way in.  Depending on which shoes/how thick the linings are, sometimes the adjusters can

pull the shoes off the drums.  Perversely, while they may be hell- for- stuck in a rotary manner, they're only stuck inny- outy by a few pounds.

Not easy to do, but not too hard, either.  DO chock the wheels- it would SUCK to get them loose, only to have the car run over you...

Don't mess with the parking brake- it caused the problem, but can't fix it, if the cables are running freely.

t

Ray doesn't ask for details- Vote Ray Koke in 2016!

Edited by TobyB

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, golf73 said:

My car has been sitting in my driveway for a while now and it's time to get it running again. However when I tried to roll it back a little, after releasing the hand brake, it wouldn't move - the rear wheels are locked up. Also, my driveway is not level, with the rear of the car at the bottom of the slope. So I can't jack it up. Not sure how to approach this - should i loosen the hand brake cable, loosen the shoes using the adjuster nuts on the inside of the drums? Pop the clutch in reverse gear? Thanks for any advice...

-Ryan

Hi,

Having recently replaced rear shoes and cylinders, I recall that the adjusters had enough travel to force the shoes to move in off the drums.  If you can rotate them, the shoes ought to pull away enough.  Of course, the real question is whether the adjusters are frozen solid!

i like to take the wheel off and beat on the drum. when you beat on it you are not just pounding,

the idea is to get a rhythm going. try to make it ring (like a bell, sort of) it is the vibrations that break things loose.

i learned this from an old gunnery Sargent, this is how we got large props to break free.  a brass hammer works best, but

steel will do. this works on many things. use it all the time on case bolts/ screws when working on motorcycles.

and is how i always get drums that have been sitting for years apart.

gaius

Yes, but it's hard on the rear wheel bearings if you don't have to do it.

Hey, I read somewhere that the rear adjusters might be able to pull the shoes 

off the drums if you rotate them all the way in...

t

24 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Hey, I read somewhere that the rear adjusters might be able to pull the shoes 

off the drums if you rotate them all the way in...

t

Same here!

:-)

ok, i said that wrong. not beat on them... it is more like striking a bell. get it to resonate. the vibration does the work.

waling away on them IMHO doesn't do a lot of good. make it ring. and of coarse Toby is right about the wheel bearings, 

but driving down half the roads in New Orleans is bad on the wheel bearings.:wacko:

Gaius