8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all, here are some pics of my 1972 cluster. Would love to open the cluster and give it a good clean etc. How would i open the cluster without damaging it? also i'm no electrical guru - how would I make sure everything is working? Wanting to test each function. My car is currently at the panel shop. 

thank you

20160616_200353_resized.jpg

20160616_200413_resized.jpg

20160616_200420_resized.jpg

20160616_200428_resized.jpg

20160616_200446_resized.jpg

There are many of us here who are not necessarily electrically inclined.  I would say that you're instruments are probably working ok, with the exception of the speedo, which does need TLC sometimes.  Regardless it's still not an electrical issue.  It's more of a mechanical issue.

If I were you, I'd assume that the instruments are working.  You can methodically dismantle the pod (while taking pictures) and inspect the inside of the cluster.  There are rings that are wedged in to hold the glass lenses in place.  They can be rotated to give you access to the lenses.  Tapping the edge of the ring with a flat-head screw driver and mallet will loosen rings.  Once the glass and rings are removed for cleaning you can access the exterior trim rings to pop them out the front.

I tried pinstriping the trim rings back to original and failed.  I took them to a specialty shop and they re-chromed the thin edge.  I clearcoated each trim ring for durability, as they get wiped often.

PhonePic3sml.jpg

Cleaning all the plastic components is easy and worry free.  The faces of the instruments will likely be very clean as they are in a dust-free environment.  I wouldn't try cleaning them as they are matte black and may show streaks from cleaning.

As for light bulbs: test one with a car battery and confirm what the filament looks like.  Make sure all bulbs look the same.  No broken filaments or blackened glass. 

It is a fun job.  Enjoy.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Just remove those 7mm (I think) bolts around the perimeter of the rear to get the 3 instrument boards out the back. Pretty easy (after you do it a few dozen times!). You will have to, I believe, pull the adjustment knob off the clock first. Careful that the odo trip shaft lines up during reinstall.

You can easily swap in a tach if you want...

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

I have the same cluster (200 KPH speedo and a clock) in my parts bin. You can take the clock out and replace it with a tach if you desire. Since your cluster is out, look at the wiring behind the cluster to the right of the clock and you should see a single wire. That wire will plug in to the rear of the tach. I had a 75 Euro spec 1802 (180 KPH speedo) and replaced my clock with a tach. IIRC, it's already prewired for a tach.   On Euro spec cars, clocks came standard and a tach was an option.

G-Man

hi All, thank you for all the comments and insightful information. I'm definitely looking forward to this job! I would love to swap out the clock for a rev counter. Finding a rev counter in South Africa will be quite a painfull task! i'll take some pictures and post as i make progress.

Please post your efforts! Especially the Tacho swap. 

My car started life as an automatic before somebody at some point threw in a 4 speed. Good news for me-I have plenty of room for a 5 speed down the line. Bad news- No Tach. 

I've gone down the road you're about to travel. I had to make one good working set of gauges from two, and the odometer had stopped in both so I had to do that whole process.

Taking apart the gauge cluster is quite easy and strait-forward, you should have no troubles as long as you take your time.

I use the gauges as house decorations, and I've got the clock wired on batteries so it ticks away at my desk :P