Brandyn Andrews

Still looking for long neck diff 3:64:1

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ok! Haven't got any idea how much a long neck diff 3:64:1 goes for. But I need one.  So get back to me guy's. I can't commit if the diff don't fit. I'm in central California i can drive to bay area and other places. Thanks again.

Well, I don't have one.

Try Gordon, in northern Oregon.

He goes by Gracer here.

Or swap your rear subframe and go shortneck.  Most of the kids did that back in the 70's.

t

Nice! I appreciate it. Will try Gracer. Actually had given complete swap some thought. I have a pre import 1800 and some things seem to be different. Need more info. Still possible though. Thanks for info.

I have one but I am in NH. I suppose if you really need it we could look into shipping but I'm not sure it would be worth it for you. Let me know. Mike

You could have one built. It won't be cheap, but the gear sizes are the same for all diffs up through the 4 cylinder E36 cars. If you can find a diff builder familiar with the longnecks, you could swap in any gear ratio you want.

presume this is for an NK? a 3.64 is quite long for an NK, esp with an 1800. sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. 

Hello Nick,tell me what you really think. The original owner seized the stock 1800 motor, then he installed a 2002ti motor with all 1800 motors external components like( intake and exhaust,) and I installed a lynks single side draft and a Top End header. (Less restriction).  At the same time he installed a 320i automatic 3 speed. The original trans has disappeared. Though I have the origanal 1800 block(seized). Wasn't part of origanal purchase of vehicle. But managed find it baried in the hanger!   Long\short  this girl has short legs.   Was my thought that a diff closer to a 320i would drop the RPM enough to stop  my whinsing. Thanks for you opinion.  Its a damb eighteenfrankin. Thanks.LMK

I do have a 3:64.  $100.00 you pay the shipping.  Do you want it with the 1800 input flange? You can E-mail me

@ gracer25@msn.com  G

OK! Hold on! Does anyone know if a ZF 4hp22 will fit trans tunnel of an 1800????  HI-YA. Good grief?    A 3:64:1 on average would only give 500rpm reduction. But a 4 speed zf  has 4th gear and 1000 rpm extra may be the way togo?  Any thoughts???

If you do a lot of motorway cruising and you only have the 3 speed auto then may be it's a good ratio. Don't forget the NK has larger wheels than an 02 or an e21 and it makes quite a bit of difference. No idea how the 4hp22 compares in size to the old 3 speed, but that box with a 4.11 would be a great combination in an NK.  

Edited by NickVyse

Are you saying that 4speed  and 4:11:1   would be great? Because I like the ratios better with 4speed transmission.  A 3:64: diff gives only 500 extra rpm. Seems I better look at 4speed trans and get measurements. LMK thanks.  Brandyn

4.11 would be more lively around town.....but not so great on the freeway with a 4 speed. Your 2002 motor would feel like its going to blow up @70 mph.

Double check the 4th gear ratio on the 4hp22 box - it's described as an over drive automatic so I have always (naturally) assumed that 4th is an OD ratio. If so then yes, it's a perfect combo in an NK and similar to a 5 speed OD and a 3.9:1 ratio in an 02 with its smaller wheels. 

Here's my NK cruising at 150kph/about 93mph (1600 speedo reads slightly slow as it's calibrated for an even shorter rear end) with a 5 speed OD and 4.11:1 back end and 195x70 14" tyres. 

nkspeed.jpg