15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Looks like a Stahl, but I can't find a name on it. Should I re-chrome and re-purpose, or replace with another?

Thanks

Nick

20160528_154421.jpg

20160528_154432.jpg

Data point: On each Stahl header I've had in my possession, the weld goes all the around the tube at the flange. (Whereas on your sample, it's just a couple of dots). And, all but one I've seen has the Stahl nameplate on it. -KB

Stahls also have a retainer band welded on the tubes just ahead of the collector.

Stahl gas welds his tubes to the flange.  That's a knock off.

Or simulation.

Or something else.

t

Edited by TobyB

It might flow ok, though.  Give it a shot!

t

7 hours ago, TobyB said:

It might flow ok, though.  Give it a shot!

t

It came off the car I'm restoring. I'm not sure how to figure out whether it flows ok, but the exhaust is an ANSA Sport and sounded fine, if a little loud/aggressive, before I tore everything apart.

I'll price re-chroming locally. If too much, maybe I'll just sand it down and put some fancy high heat paint on it and let 'er rip. "New" Stahl's are $800 bucks!

3 hours ago, NYNick said:

It came off the car I'm restoring. I'm not sure how to figure out whether it flows ok, but the exhaust is an ANSA Sport and sounded fine, if a little loud/aggressive, before I tore everything apart.

I'll price re-chroming locally. If too much, maybe I'll just sand it down and put some fancy high heat paint on it and let 'er rip. "New" Stahl's are $800 bucks!

Check on ceramic coating, too (in addition to / as opposed to chroming (or, maybe that's what you meant)). Many of the DIY heat paints have ceramic bits in them. -KB

This is a 1 3/8 Stahl Header, notice the nice gas brazing of the header pipe to the flange. I believe Bavarian Auto Sport sold a Stahl knock off header for awhile.   

13434763_10154249997152277_6556181872601667247_n.jpg

nice gas brazing

It's not brass braze- it might be silver.  I mistakenly thought it was tig when I broke mine last time,

and wow, did it make a mess of the torch and electrode in a hurry.

I flowed all the original metal off, and used brass alloy, because that was what I had, but it's not what Jere used originally...

t

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

This is a 1 3/8 Stahl Header, notice the nice gas brazing of the header pipe to the flange. I believe Bavarian Auto Sport sold a Stahl knock off header for awhile.   

13434763_10154249997152277_6556181872601667247_n.jpg

The output on mine is a full 2 inches. The four inputs are oblong, and about 1 1/2" wide. 

How does this compare to a Stahl? While I'm asking, if it is indeed comparable, why should I care whether it has a Stahl name on it?

No trying to be flippant, just asking.

Thx

Nick

Unless you've got a highly modified engine, I doubt you'd see much performance gain from going to another header.  The money is probably better spent elsewhere at this point.

I've got an unknown brand header on mine, possibly a stahl because the tubes look to be fully welded to the flange, but it's pretty rusty.  Aside from being ugly from the rust, it will work just fine while I fix other issues with the car.

Agreed.  Don't sweat it until you're chasing real power.  Depending on what you're doing, the stock manifold/downpipe may even do better, as it's 4-2-1

t