13 posts in this topic Last Reply

What is the sev Marchal headlight that fit best in a 74-76 2002?

Post your set up pics here.

Thanks!

image.jpg

Any 7" Marchal lamp will fit in your car, so long as it's a one-piece unit that's meant to replace a US style sealed beam, with a bulb that has the conventional three prongs that plug into your existing wiring harness.  

mike

As Mike said, they all fit!  I ran the Marchal H4's pictured below from 1977-ish until 2011, and they were excellent lights (first 2 photos).  I'm fairly confident this model has not been marketed for years, but NOS examples occasionally surface.  I can't tell if you're looking for period lights or modern lights.  If you're looking for the latter, that's fine.

But if you're looking for great period lights, the BEST Marchal is the Amplilux, with two bulbs and two reflectors per lamp (3rd photo).  The "catch" with Amplilux -- NOS examples remain regularly available -- is two-fold:

1.) Cost, which is generally $350-$600 for an NOS pair; and

2.) Wiring, which, while not terribly complicated, is not 3-prong plug-and-play

I'm currently running, on the '73 and '76, Cibie Z Beams, which I believe are as good as Amplilux but are 3-prong plug-and-play (4th photo).  NOS examples appear regularly in the $250-$400 range.  How do NOS Amplilux and Z Beams compare to modern lights?  They're not as good as Xenon or LED lights, but they're every bit as good as any modern H4 light.  My sense is that the quality of lenses and reflectors was very high; the H4 bulbs are still much the same.

Good luck,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I snatched up these earlier in the winter of the Facebook classifieds group for $140 shipped. Not sure about the specifics and I just paid what the seller was asking. As long as the price wasn't absurd I was just stoked to find a set to go with my fogs!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks to all for share all your knowledge in this post. Very very good!!!

I decide to open the post because I'm a fan of the brand and I want put a pair of Marchal headlights in my 2002 to complete my set of fogs and rear stop light.

Any other? Please post pics of actual 2002 with Marchal headlights.

This is my '76 in April '77 wearing what appears to be the Marchal headlights in my post above, along with Marchal Series 850 (?) amber fog lights.

There are long threads herein on headlights and auxiliary lights, with LOTS of photos!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

6 hours ago, LikeStig said:

I snatched up these earlier in the winter of the Facebook classifieds group for $140 shipped. Not sure about the specifics and I just paid what the seller was asking. As long as the price wasn't absurd I was just stoked to find a set to go with my fogs!

Hmmmm.... I wonder who that seller happened to be... ?!   ;)

AD4734C9-9172-4A48-8CF2-280C4448098C.jpg

1 hour ago, eurotrash said:

Hmmmm.... I wonder who that seller happened to be... ?!   ;)

YOOOOO thanks for the lights! That patina is contagious! :P

Finally I got my Marchal Amplilux !!!!!  whoooohooo

Now I need some advice in how to wire them! Any help with photo, diagrams or anything else ???

Congrats, Jose!

As per my PM, original wiring instructions are below.  You really need to wire them such that both the Amplilux high beam bulbs AND the Amplilux low beam bulbs serve as your high beam lights.  Thus, all four bulbs must operate simultaneously on high beam.

I believe the instructions refer to the low beam as the "dip beam" and the high beam as the "road beam".

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0672.JPG

Edited by Conserv

Just got these the other day at the Stoddard Porsche Swap meet. I'm in the process of finding out what the adjuster tabs are for. The google searches show Ferrari 250, Peugeot 208 and Citroen DS (early). At first I thought I was going to cut off the tabs but now I'm thinking that someone that's restoring a 250 GTO might neeeeed these...........

john

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

These are my 7" Amplilux. They fit perfectly in my 1975 BMW 2002.

i had to order a special harness made by Daniel Stern Lightning to be able to run the low and high beam together.

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0747.MOV

IMG_0746.JPG

Yea, the thick plottens. Looks like they are indeed Amplilux headlights for early Ferrari. 

John