kbmb02

Rear Bumper Differences?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

For those knowledgeable and aware of the finer (and not so finer) details of 2002 parts, a question:

While sorting through rear bumper center sections, I noted a variance, as shown below. Some have a 'support' piece welded to the back side of each end (see left in photo), while on others the bumper is a single layer there (no support piece). The front side also differs, per the 'step' on the end. Per my samples, this variance is true for bumpers with the holes for the rubber strip and without. This seems like it would impact hardware, perhaps more. Anyone know for sure? And - if so - describe year / model / bumper style differences. Appreciated. -KB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you know what years either or both bumpers are from, and whether they're Euro or US?  I can't recall seeing any rear bumper sections (and I've parted out or gone through more than a few roundies) with that reinforcement section welded in place.  I'm quite sure that neither my '69 nor my '73 has that on their (original) rear bumper sections, and none of the spare bumper sections in my stash have 'em either.  

It's just possible that the reinforced bumper came from an early car (no holes for rubber strips), and the factory eliminated that as a cost saving--I'm sure BMW didn't make their own bumpers but bought 'em from a supplier--on later models.  The front bumpers have small die-cast spacers that the overrider bolts seat on, but I don't think the back ones do.  And the rear blades on the 73s are the same as the earlier cars; only the brackets are different for that year only.

Has anyone else seen those reinforced blades?

mike 

Thanks, Mike.

I don't know the year or type, as these are in my stash from various parts purchases. I counted, and five out of the eight rear center sections have that reinforcement. And it's random - some with the reinforcement have holes for rubber strips, some do not.

Good to know on the long blades; the only thing I noticed with those is most have round holes, but one set has elongated horizontal holes. -KB

image.jpeg

I have aftermarket bumpers which are like that, welded in bracket and no notch on the edge.

Since it appears that both rubber strip and plain bumpers came with reinforcements, a logical explanation would be that BMW used two different suppliers for their bumpers.  And this may be a distinct possibility, as I've seen bumpers with the back sides painted a pale grey, and others painted silver.  That always puzzled me, but different suppliers may be the answer.  

Of course the parts are all interchangeable.   In fact, IIRC at least one of the bumpers on my '69 (bought new) had both silver and grey sections.  

mike