Newtomatoes

Triangular Rocks in Cylinder Head

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

First post!  I'd like to thank everyone for all of the great info on this site, which I've been referencing for months.  I'm slowly fixing up an automatic 1975 2002 purchased in April. 

I'm hoping to get some help identifying something odd.  I found six triangular, shark-toothy rocks of equal size in my cylinder head tonight after removing the valve cover for the first time.  The rocks were packed around the exhaust valves for cylinders #3 and 4.  I wouldn't have though much of them, but because they're all the same size and shape, I'm wondering if they serve(d) some kind of purpose.  Any thoughts?

Rocks A.jpg

Rocks B.jpg

What???.........I don't think those should be there! Heck, I wonder how they got in there or who even put them there! But it does look like you got yourself some genuine homogeneous claystone! Might even be some sort of soapstone. I'd clean em up real well and thrown them in your freezer. Might could use them as whiskey stones with a good story!

Edited by southgabimmer

Those are arrowheads. An archaeologist may be able to use them to estimate the build date of your motor. Judging by their size, these particular arrowheads were used by heretofore undocumented Pygmy tribes that roamed what is now Bavaria in central Western Europe. A very interesting find for sure. I suggest putting them on eBay and labeling them as "rare alien incisors", or "robotic sharks teeth from the land that time forgot." 

Have you checked your camshaft's gear for a full set of teeth?  You might find that it looks like it's from West Virginia. 

Now you know where that valve clatter came from! Honestly, no clue where they came from! Maybe broke off a rocker? They're very smooth so it looks like they've been there a while.

Zinz is right, that is polishing media that is usually used in a vibratory bowl.

wow, I'm thinking someone tossed a set of rockers in to get polished and didn't see that one of those was jammed into a bottom crevice?

Makes you question the builder's ability

11 hours ago, zinz said:

Jeesh... Those are polishing media... How the hell did they get there???

By the looks of the dirty internals, maybe that was his goal to polish things up a bit.  Look like it's time for AutoRX

As has been pointed out, they definitely are not factory equipment--and you're very lucky that one or more of those things didn't get jammed under a valve spring, rocker arm or something else moving at high speed when the engine's running. That would have broken something for sure--like if a valve jammed open and kissed a piston.  A scary thought.  

And they're small enough so that they could have (and maybe some did) fall down the oil return hole and reside (or are now residing) in the sump, just waiting to get in the way of a reciprocating part, or partially plug up the oil pump intake.  

Now that I've thoroughly scared you...you might try going back to the previous owner (or check any receipts you might have for engine work) to see where those things came from.  Hopefully there aren't any more lurking elsewhere in the engine...

cheers, and welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike