Eimis Savickas

Installing rear H&R coil springs

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello all!

Having trouble installing new rear H&R Sport Coil springs. Any suggestions would help.

Basically, i released rear sway bar link, released hand brake, unbolted bottom of the strut and unhooked it but still not enough space to put in the new springs.

Using dual sided spring compressor tool was ok to take out old springs, however, its not so easy to install new ones with them, because rods of the compressing tool get in a way.

Was thinking, if I would get a different spring compression tool, that goes inside the coil spring, maybe that would do the trick, but not sure also...

What buckeye said. I was able to get my sport springs in with compressors the first time, but man it was a pain in the ass. Second time I dropped the shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny...I encountered just the opposite situation.  Had to use a spring compressor to get the old springs out, but the new H&Rs popped right in without disconnecting the axle shafts or using a spring compressor.  Just pushed down on the control arm a little and they went right into place.  The difference may be the thickness of your rear spring pads--the 3 dot pads are nearly a half inch thicker than the one dot pads, and that may be just enough.

mike

Excuse my stupidity, but how exactly do i unbolt CV Axle, and which side of it, the one that goes into the differential or the wheel side (bunch of small bolts from the inside?)

I raised the rear up high enough that I had a lot of room to get the H&R rears in without a compressor. Used a crowbar for leverage to drop it in around the lower pad. 
I wonder if you have 3 dot rear pads? I had 1 dot on mine.