2002Scoob

GD Motorsport 5 Speed Shifter. Anyone know anything about it?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm piecing together cool bits and pieces for next winter's hopeful 5 Speed project, and have the opportunity to pick up this nice looking piece of kit. I think it look legit...

ef78fa99ddb750f6133f1fc3a01ac22d.jpg

630e40c225273b5eb1cda9c9bd8ee81f.jpg

But, I can't find any other information about it or the company. Anyone know anything about this and if it's worth a go?

-J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been a number of Eastern European types knocking off the CAE shifter.  This is one of those.  They tend to change their name frequently whenever they run into "bad press".  I have seen a number of them have issues ranging from minor to systemic. 

In terms of "performance vs streetable vs budget" 

Level1: rubber motor and trans mounts: normal shifter/short oem shifter/uuc shifter (shifter supported by transmission)$

Level2: urethane motor and trans mounts: Bimmerworld shifter, AKG shifter (shifter supported by transmission tunnel)$$

Level3: urethane motor and trans mounts: CAE shifter (shifter supported by transmission and is spring-loaded, etc.)$$$$

...and in order of transmission longevity, from shortest to longest:

3- not really healthy at all for any synchro'd transmission.  However, extends the life of your dog- rings significantly, especially if you don't shift 'em 'authoritatively' on your own, as in, you don't slam the box.  Which you are supposed to do.  Stupid- high fork pressures on a synchro'ed box.

2- still pretty hard on the stock box.  It's very hard to feel the 'dwell' point that gives synchros time to match revs inside the box.  If you're

good at heel- toe and always shift accurately, it might be ok.  High fork pressures.  The PRO3 guys put in a bunch of AKG shifters-

and then, after a round of transmission replacements, went back to #1.  Some still use them.  Last I looked.  The 3-4 fork in the

260 is aluminum, too, so that just made things worse.

1- a better idea.  you can feel what's going on in the box, you can shift it with 2 fingers, and you can tell when the next gear's synched to allow the collar to slide over the gear.  Everyone has a slightly different technique and preference, so don't be afraid to experiment.

You're not saving that much time with shifts, unless you go to a dog box... or a sequential dog box.

t

Looks like it is bolted directly to the trans tunnel with no rubber isolating the transmission noise, and there is going to be a lot of it.  The engine and transmission will move on the rubber mounts and the shifter will be bolted to the chassis.  That Knob is going to move around a lot.

...And with how long that thing looks, when you lift in 2nd it will knock you in the forearm and make you turn left.

And while it looks cool, it won't remove much slop.  The majority of slop is in the linkage and coupler.