winstontj

Nose Panel Removal

4 posts / 740 viewsLast Reply

Car has a late model nose and I'd like to put an early nose back on it. I don't think you can get late noses anymore and this one is in pretty decent shape. Should I worry about trying to preserve it so I can sell/trade it once its off or focus on the car and if the nose gets hacked/destroyed in the process so be it? I'm having trouble with the seam that goes down the front inner fender. Looks like the PO (or some hack body shop) used an el-cheapo FCAW like a glue gun and went to town on the seams. Its been slow and tedious work to grind those welds without ruining either the nose or the inner fenders/frame rails.

Let me know if you're going to salvage the nose clip. Can't talk to the removal process, yet.

FCAW?

Flux Core Acetylene Welder?

Having been in your position, it is MUCH harder to try to save both panels.

But as you say, they're in short- ish supply.  Ironically, I used a late

panel when I couldn't find an early in a hurry.

And if it's been done once already, ALL bets are off!  My approach would be to try to 

save both, but when I started to damage the car, I'd chop the nose.

whut I dun,

t

you taking off the entire nose, yes, ? so I'm sure you can find a picture somewhere here or online to confirm your attack approach, to make sure you are going at this the right way.

It is a big piece, right back to the inner fenders (engine bay "walls"), the entire lower valance, and everything behind the headlights, and if done correctly the fenders are brazed to the nose, which can require a delicate touch to not damage either.