• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monterey 2016

Hello,

So I go to Monterey every year, my schedule is:

McCalls

Mecum

Quail

Carmel

Italian Concorso

Pebble

Sleep

I plan on having a 1600 or 2002 brought up, what do I need to not miss? Both cars are not show quality, but hopefully acceptable.

Thanks,

Matt

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

Curious about this myself. Im

driving my '72 from San Antonio Texas to Monterey over a 6 day period then another 7 back after the historics. Plan so far is pebble beach, legends, and historics. I heard quail was must see but it's sold out. I'll have to look into the others mentioned and hopefully add some things to the already packed schedule. 

Cant wait! 

Turn 12 is great, love the wall of steering wheels.

Quail is great, but yes it is sold out, go to Laguna Seca on Friday instead.

McCalls is said to be better than Quail, but is at night, tickets are still available.

https://mccalleventsinc.thundertix.com/orders/new?performance_id=1584243

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

My o2 Cents - I haven't  been to either McCalls or Quail.  McCalls is on Wedensday and really looks like fun (not sure what the entry price is but I am sure it is $$$$), that one is at the Monetery Jet Center, and while cars are the central theme, (I think) it is much more of a "social" event than anything else (based on images of red carpet money shots of celebs and well known locals).  I haven't been to McCalls so I am commenting from what I have read.  Quail, I had my application in for this but just couldn't quite see getting my car done to the level I wanted + add to that $700 entry fee and then another $1200 for my two sons to attend ($600/Ea) = trip to Hawaii for at least a few days for my wife and I.  Couldn't quite see it this year especially given the amount of funds currently leaving my checking account on a weekly basis.  Maybe next year.  I will be taking my car to Legends (Legends and Quail are the same day and essentially the same time = can't do both so its one or the other AND TRAFFIC IS BRUTAL trying to get between the two). I went to Legends last year and really enjoyed myself.  This year is going to be off the hook I think based on what I have heard.   I think you really just need to pick one (and since Quail is sold out, if you haven't picked it you probably aren't going).  Pebble, haven't gone but would like to go and no interest (personally at the moment) in the Auctions, but would at some point like to go.  At least one day at the races for sure, I was there last year - it really was pretty incredible.  This year because there will be so many BMW's will be even better - it will be absolute sensory overload, I only wish my car would be done enough to compete.  Going to be a great time for sure.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

If you only have time for 1 day at the track I recommend Friday. All of the cars run, and the crowd will be about 1/2 of the Saturday crowd. The CSL's ect run in group 4A so they race on Saturday but not on Sunday. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

16 minutes ago, markmac said:

I only wish my car would be done enough to compete.  Going to be a great time for sure.

I hear you on this one Mark.  Any estimate as to when you will be able to drive the car in earnest?

I know we will have a fellow faq'er with his 02 at Quail along with a certain taiga e9 csl.  

Can't wait for Monterey as this will be Tesoro's debut at Legends!

I'll be staying at my parents house in Pacific Grove.. so if there are any after event activities, I'm down to hang out with other 02ers!

My itinerary looks like:

Friday - Legends

Saturday - Laguna

Sunday - Laguna/Pebble or Pebble/Laguna

See you all there!

Edited by 02princessLisa

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

• Administrators

A bunch of us are camping at Laguna Seca that weekend by turn 9/10/11.

Thursday Afternoon -- Laguna Seca Paddoc

Friday  -- Legends of The Autobahn 

Saturday -- Races At Laguna Seca

Sunday -- Races at Laguna Seca

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

20 minutes ago, steve k. said:

A bunch of us are camping at Laguna Seca that weekend by turn 9/10/11.

Thursday Afternoon -- Laguna Seca Paddoc

Friday  -- Legends of The Autobahn 

Saturday -- Races At Laguna Seca

Sunday -- Races at Laguna Seca

I'll be there at your campgrounds eating all your food and drinking all your beer! LOL! ;)

Edited by 02princessLisa

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

15 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I hear you on this one Mark.  Any estimate as to when you will be able to drive the car in earnest?

I know we will have a fellow faq'er with his 02 at Quail along with a certain taiga e9 csl.  

Andrew, unless I am way off base, the car will be "running and driving" by then, as you well know, there is a big difference between running and driving down the street or a parade lap and running 100%.  Without any sorting/testing it is way too risky for both car and driver.  I had been talking to the folks at the Quail some time ago and had an app ready to submit.  For a variety of reasons I felt like Legends was the best place for the car this year.  The body work is taking longer than I thought, but the end product will be spectacular.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com