• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing cover

DEZIMADE

You should post a larger picture, or two.  Both sides of the cover.  Seems unlikely that it would be damaged, unless someone dropped it off a roof.

Hi there, I don't have it off the car yet .i will photograph it ,and put it up .[emoji1007]chances are the chain hits the side of it and creates lil holes .damage from 43 years ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front timing cover, upper and lower.

The picture you post is a lower tii cover.

Don't pay new prices- those things tend to survive when the cars die.

Post your location in the WTB section- I'm sure someone within 100 miles has one you can pay $50 or less for.

Dunno where this "base" word originated- there are M10's, there are tii M10's, there are M10B20's, there are M10B18's, there are M12's, there are S14's...

t

Thanks!! Can you get to the WTB area in tap talk?

3 minutes ago, Des said:

chances are the chain hits the side of it and creates lil holes .damage from 43 years ..

Again, not likely.  More likely it is gaskets leaking.   That's a good thing.  The gasket kit is not very expensive.  Stripping down the front of the engine is a bit of work though.  Hoist the front of the engine 4", remove oil pan, radiator, fan, alternator, pulleys, front crankshaft hub, water pump, hoses, and (2) covers.  Clean inside and out and replace parts as needed.  DEFINITELY replace gaskets with a high quality sealant.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Again, not likely.  More likely it is gaskets leaking.   That's a good thing.  The gasket kit is not very expensive.  Stripping down the front of the engine is a bit of work though.  Hoist the front of the engine 4", remove oil pan, radiator, fan, alternator, pulleys, front crankshaft hub, water pump, hoses, and (2) covers.  Clean inside and out and replace parts as needed.  DEFINITELY replace gaskets with a high quality sealant.

Thanks a lot. I will take that advice. Dez

I dunno… How's $35 including postage sound? (unless you're far far away from Western Pennsylvania. )

I'll media blast it, so it's clean, pretty, and ready for use. Paypal easy and can send it within 48 hours.

While you're in there stuff to consider:

oil pump chain

timing chain

chain guide rail

chain tension rail

timing cover seat KIT (includes front crankshaft seal)

Consider "reddi-sleeve'ing" the crank pulley, in case it's got a wear groove in it.

chain tensioner piston and spring

oil pan gasket

water pump gasket

valve cover gasket

I have a new oil pump chain ($10) and a nearly new camshaft sprocket ($60) if you're interested. Left over from my own engine build.

If you want me to send any of the parts I have, just shoot an e mail to me: zenwrenchpaul@yahoo.com

For gasket sealant - I was turned on to Permatex "Super 300" and it friggin' WORKS! Looks like their "aircraft sealant" but better IMHO. Small plastic bottle w a brush in the cap. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

• 1 month later...
I dunno… How's $35 including postage sound? (unless you're far far away from Western Pennsylvania. )

I'll media blast it, so it's clean, pretty, and ready for use. Paypal easy and can send it within 48 hours.

While you're in there stuff to consider:

oil pump chain

timing chain

chain guide rail

chain tension rail

timing cover seat KIT (includes front crankshaft seal)

Consider "reddi-sleeve'ing" the crank pulley, in case it's got a wear groove in it.

chain tensioner piston and spring

oil pan gasket

water pump gasket

valve cover gasket

I have a new oil pump chain ($10) and a nearly new camshaft sprocket ($60) if you're interested. Left over from my own engine build.

If you want me to send any of the parts I have, just shoot an e mail to me: zenwrenchpaul@yahoo.com

For gasket sealant - I was turned on to Permatex "Super 300" and it friggin' WORKS! Looks like their "aircraft sealant" but better IMHO. Small plastic bottle w a brush in the cap. 

Question:

Hi there. How many hours does it take to change out the timing covers and install a gear kit and the gaskets.

As well as an oil pan gasket. Thanks Dez

[emoji111]?️

On a lift, if done by an experienced professional…and if all the parts are inspected and properly re-sleeved if necessary? I dunno… maybe 4 hours? On a tii, add a couple more. I spend a lot of time cleaning things before I reassemble them. That adds time and money to the above estimate, but I don't send filthy shit out the door. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

On a lift, if done by an experienced professional…and if all the parts are inspected and properly re-sleeved if necessary? I dunno… maybe 4 hours? On a tii, add a couple more. I spend a lot of time cleaning things before I reassemble them. That adds time and money to the above estimate, but I don't send filthy shit out the door. 

Hey thanks. Weather is too nice I handed the job of to a pro. So at least I have an idea. Considering. Thanks man. Dez

[emoji111]?️