• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Meet/Post-Drive for XXX Burgers and BMWs

bento

This has been discussed in the 02 drive? 02 meetup? thread here but at three pages, it's getting a little long to tag onto.

A few of us are planning to attend the Burgers and BMWs event in Issaquah this weekend.

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/events/the-seventh-annual-burgers-and-bmws-at-the-triple-xxx-root-beer-drive-in/

Who's interested in;

1) Meeting a bit early, around 9am near XXX and then caravan over so we can get parked as a group, rather than spread out among all the other BMWs?

2) A drive afterwards? I have a route in mind from Issaquah > Fall City > Carnation > Redmond on backroads through the Snoqualmie valley, but open to other route ideas.

If there are at least a few folks interested in either/both options, we can work out the details and I'm more than happy to coordinate.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Cool. Looks like there's some interest. 

Let's plan on meeting here at 9;

Issaquah Coffee Company

https://goo.gl/maps/hRDvr9dWwUn

There's a bigger lot adjacent to the coffee shop. Let's plan on parking over there. The spots right in front tend to fill up. They have pretty solid coffee and a selection of bakery items. They're located just a few blocks from XXX so keeping the group together should be pretty easy.

Looks like there are two parking options; the $5 premier lot, and the free lots. Any strong preference for the paid lot? I don't mind the $5 donation, but it will probably be more competitive for parking. Anyone who has experience with this event/venue, I'd welcome your advice here. I think their are a few lots to choose from.

As far as the drive, let's leave that open for now. In the meantime, I'll see if I can figure out how to plot the planned route in Google maps.

Brent

I'll drop the $5, but WTF, it's always been a free event and parking first come first serve.... Grumpy poor ex-college kid will stop being grumpy now. I'm down for both pre and post meet. Id be happy to go ring my car out for a little bit!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

7 minutes ago, roadhog0 said:

I'll drop the $5, but WTF, it's always been a free event and parking first come first serve.... Grumpy poor ex-college kid will stop being grumpy now. I'm down for both pre and post meet. Id be happy to go ring my car out for a little bit!

The $5 goes to charity;

http://lifeenrichmentoptions.org

But I can donate without paying for parking. Like I said, im leaning toward one of the overflow lots anyhow. I'll have to drive by this week and refresh my memory on the layout. I'd rather not be across the street, but I don't recall how big the outer lot on the same side of the street is.

Brent

I just get grumpy about spending money, don't mind me here....

As far as parking, I'm assuming the premium lot is going to be the XXX lot and the Virginia Mason lots. Overflow lots are all across the street

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

12 minutes ago, roadhog0 said:

I just get grumpy about spending money, don't mind me here....

As far as parking, I'm assuming the premium lot is going to be the XXX lot and the Virginia Mason lots. Overflow lots are all across the street

Thanks for clarifying. 

Brent

I am up for the $5 donation - and parking together and the road trip.  Last year there were about eight 2002's together because we arrived early and a few others spread out that arrived later.  My experience is the earlier we get there the better chance for group parking.  I suggest 7:30 am meet at coffee, then head to XXX at 8am.  My 02 cents worth. The Redmond get coffee and park it on Saturday mornings have been packed.

I have been to a few of these get togethers, and parking fills up early.  I recall arriving about 1/2 an hour before start time and finding the main lot full already.  I'd recommend arriving at least an hour early if you want main lot parking.  Cheeseburgers aren't just for breakfast, you know.

Also, per the BMW CCA PNW website, the event is open to all enthusiasts, not just CCA members.  That may be new this year, but I'm not sure.

See you there!  Stu.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Thanks for the heads up Stu.

Guys, want to make this 8:30am instead? Gives us some time for stragglers and we can get there by 9. The event starts at 10am.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

23 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

Thanks for the heads up Stu.

Guys, want to make this 8:30am instead? Gives us some time for stragglers and we can get there by 9. The event starts at 10am.

James

Makes sense based on Stu's input. 8:30 it is! I'll put it on the events calendar. 

We can talk about it before we head over, but it sounds like most folks are in for the premium ($5) parking. 

Nathan, if you have a spare tire tie down bar in your parts stash, I'll pay your parking donation in trade. :)

Brent

Make sure to bring extra cash (over the $5 parking fee) if you want to eat, XXX doesn't take plastic (credit or debit).

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors