• Upcoming Events

mvliotta

Washer nozzle color?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

In the process of unclogging one of my washer nozzles on my '72 tii. While they are out, wondering whether these should be the color of the body. They were resprayed Polaris on mine, which look fine, but....

What should the color of the nozzles be? I've seen black and metallic silver.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they should not be painted at all.

raw brass, with the edge of a little black rubber washer showing under the base.

they were installed after the body was painted.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

I've seen clear and yellow zinc-plated originals (probably silver and yellow cadmium plating back in the '60's and '70's) and I've seen chrome-plated brass originals, but I can't say I've seen bare brass.  It's certainly possible -- there have been many different suppliers over the years and they remain available from BMW and others -- I just haven't seen them in what I viewed was an original context.

Painted nozzles are a tell-tale of re-paints that are....not of the highest caliber.

Regards,

Steven

Edited by Conserv

Well sh!t, sorry for giving bad information.  Mine are brass today, but that does not mean they came that way.  Perhaps the cad plating has just worn off over the past forty years.

Here is what mine look like now.  (the washer appears to be original :  ) 

Tom

014.JPG

5 minutes ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

brass

? I think they are copper.  Too soft for brass.  Brass would be too brittle also.  All you gotta do is blow hard on them and they bend.

they seem too yellow to be pure copper...

brass is an alloy composed mainly of copper and the following quote I dug up states that adding more copper to the mix makes it soft.  Maybe we are both 'right'?

( I lifted the following from here- http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-copper-and-brass/ )

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Its bright, gold-like color makes it ideal for use as decorations. It is used to make doorknobs, locks, gears, ammunition, valves, plumbing, electrical, and musical instruments. Zippers are also made of brass.

It has been used since ancient times as mirrors and other decorations. It is malleable and can be cast and molded. Depending on the amount of zinc and copper used, the color of brass can range from yellow to yellow orange and brown. It can either be hard or soft depending on the proportion of zinc to copper.

Well, decided to work on my nozzles this afternoon after taking in the advice given.

They are now clog and paint-free!

IMG_3266.JPG

Thanks all!

Vince

Looking great! Are the rubber washers still available new?

Thanks Ryan. Don't know... Just happened to have washers that were about the right size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought new rubber grommets and chrome nuts form either Rogerstii or W&N, don't remember exactly which one. 

Original washer nozzles--at least all the ones I've seen that I know were original to the car--were copper.  Apparently the replacement ones that you now buy from BMW are plated--they look chrome to me but may be nickel or cad plate.  Regardless, they're silvery.

Those little rubber washers should be available at your local hardware store.  Bring an old one along; if they're not in the nut and bolt assortment, check the plumbing department.  Bet you'll find whatcha need.  

Same with the rubber washers under the windshield wiper pivot nuts.

mike

8 hours ago, mike said:

Original washer nozzles--at least all the ones I've seen that I know were original to the car--were copper.  Apparently the replacement ones that you now buy from BMW are plated--they look chrome to me but may be nickel or cad plate.  Regardless, they're silvery.

Those little rubber washers should be available at your local hardware store.  Bring an old one along; if they're not in the nut and bolt assortment, check the plumbing department.  Bet you'll find whatcha need.  

Same with the rubber washers under the windshield wiper pivot nuts.

mike

My bad on early nozzles, Mike, but the original nozzles on my '76 -- the photo below from August '83 is the earliest I have showing one of my car's nozzles -- were plated, but oxidizing nicely by '83, at 7 years old.  As I mentioned above, I've seen a wide range of different finishes on these, suggesting many different suppliers/manufacturers over time.

As a reference point, the jogged end pieces of my '76's hood hold down bar were originally yellow cadmium or yellow zinc: the portions protected from exposure remained quite bright when I disassembled the bar last year for the re-paint (second photo).  By '83, these jogged end pieces were largely black, whereas the bar itself, which began life plated with silver cadmium or clear zinc, remained quite silver.  Thus, different plated finishes aged differently.  My '76's washer nozzles, with some plating but aging quite like the jogged end pieces were, I believe, originally plated like the jogged end pieces: yellow cadmium or yellow zinc.  My '76 was manufactured April 23, 1976, so it's a pretty late car.

Bear in mind, until I stumbled across not just one, but two replacements of the washer reservoir in my '76 -- both replacement before 1979 -- I did not recall any replacements of the reservoir.  So I won't dismiss some possibility of a post-factory replacement of nozzles; maybe someday I'll go through the receipts line by line and list out what was replaced...maybe not!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Awesome Steve! Your post and pix answered two questions for me. The OP question regarding the nozzles, and the latch bar question I asked in another thread.

One more. Your VIN almost looks like it was taped over before painting. I've sanded the paint off mine so it's pretty clean looking. Should I put a piece of tape over it before it goes to paint?

Looks like the nozzles are soft brass.  The pic with the plating removed shows brass.  Mine are plated still and I prefer to leave the plating on even as frosty as it is.  Without plating or coating of some kind they will corrode soon, although a corrosion layer protects the base metal.  With no coating, a can of Brasso will be the norm in the tool box.

Bare aluminum is active and corrodes very fast but not noticed because aluminum oxide is the same color as the base metal.   Shiny copper pipes mean there is an acidic action active.

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Should I put a piece of tape over it before it goes to paint?

For originality, yes.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.