• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Megasquirt Complete, Time for a Turbo

bento

Interesting. I'll have to done some measuring and research. There's it much room between the air dam and the intercooler, so I'd probably have to compromise somewhere. 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

@pnwtii - I stopped by to check on my car yesterday but couldn't get a good shot of the drain. I guess you'll have to check it out at our next event when I get the car back.

Some photos of progress. 

Remote oil filter mount 

90A29E6A-E014-4A44-BCB0-2A132EA0ED46.thumb.JPG.7abbe03cf48918b900794da0dffc1985.JPG

lines to oil oil cooler come through the battery corner cut out.

D39C2BF9-B4DE-4B77-BBB9-D67C874602D1.thumb.JPG.0c3a9e159743ed2ebe107664604c928b.JPG

radiator or is mounted, though still needs finish welding.

92414055-07EF-4D3C-846C-22C780693B0A.thumb.JPG.ccf034059c56b93903e0e8973c5db13f.JPG

intercooler is mounted up as well.

370D3A77-B7DF-4905-A208-B53A6D0DE20C.thumb.JPG.5988c67386f99b9827ab486173bf3753.JPG

B08FCB92-A6B0-44C3-B23F-97900D524B4A.thumb.JPG.0a0b1aa37cc3e395b277642a8bd63a66.JPG

still lots of plumbing and an an exhaust to go. Oil cooler still needs to be mounted as well. It'll sit right behind the kidney grille and a pusher fan will sit between the radiator and the oil cooler.

@tzei - Read up a bit on ducting and it seems to be a proven approach. Patrick and I discussed leaving the smaller opening in the airdam and building some ducting for the intercooler. Regardless of the effect on Intercooler efficiency,  I like the idea for keeping the intercooler more hidden/stealthy. The intercooler will get a light coat of black paint to hide it, but also leaving the smaller opening should make it invisible.

@'76mintgrun'02 - unfortunately, the behind the grille foglight placement had to be sacrificed for the air intake. Your mounting blocks worked great for the last couple of years. Thanks. Not sure whether I'll leave the lights off or finally install a front bumper so I have a place for them.

Looks like I have some brake work to do soon as well. I noticed my driver side caliper is damp, but it does not appear to have contaminated the pad yet. Seems to be a leaky piston based on the pattern of discoloration. At least these girling calipers are cheap at $40. I was due for new pads anyhow. I'll probably sneak in and swap the caliper, replace the pads, swap my wheel cylinders for the slightly larger Tii ones, and do a full fluid flush while Patrick has the car up on stands so it's ready to go and safe when he wraps up.

• Like 1

Brent

• 1 month later...

Getting close. All plumbing is complete except radiator. The radiator itself is all welded up though.

Exhaust and wastegate housings, down pipe, and exhaust manifold are all back from ceramic coating and installed. I went with a semi-gloss black. Haven’t seen it in person, but was hoping to match the intake manifold and valve cover.

Patrick just sent me the picture below of where he left off for the weekend. 

56B96F93-42D6-48DF-99A4-D87A3E1774C2.thumb.jpeg.3b0d72adba579edda0d868c6ce2ec9eb.jpeg

So close! Hope to drive it soon. Maybe a week or so from now, at least for the road tune before it gets strapped on the dyno for a proper tune? We’ll see.

• Like 1

Brent

1 hour ago, bento said:

56B96F93-42D6-48DF-99A4-D87A3E1774C2.thumb.jpeg.3b0d72adba579edda0d868c6ce2ec9eb.jpeg

So close! Hope to drive it soon. Maybe a week or so from now, at least for the road tune before it gets strapped on the dyno for a proper tune? We’ll see.

....congrats Brent looks pretty sweet ......I wish mine was that close

Edited by joysterm

52 minutes ago, joysterm said:

....congrats Brent looks pretty sweet ......I wish mine was that close

Thanks! I’m getting pretty excited as it gets closer to being finished. We’ll see if the head gasket and clutch hold up to boost. Hopefully I don’t have to check it back in shortly after it’s back on the road. I’m kind of assuming one or both will let go so I’ll be pleasantly surprised if nothing happens.

...and I wish mine had a beautiful new paint job plus all those shiny cad plated bits you dropped off with it. Your 02 will be quite the car when finished and I’m sure the wait will be well worth it.

• Like 1

Brent

5 minutes ago, Harv said:

I can't wait to see the results!

john

You and me both!

Can’t wait to get a point by on track and actually be able to take it. Local track has open track days all winter, so I shouldn’t have to wait too much longer for that.

Brent

Joy ride line starts behind me.

I've been watching this come together every time I stop by the shop. Work looks incredible. 

Can't wait to see it come to life. 

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Just now, Teelinger said:

Joy ride line starts behind me.

I've been watching this come together every time I stop by the shop. Work looks incredible. 

Can't wait to see it come to life. 

Quit stopping by and distracting Patrick!!! :D

Since I don’t plan on taking the car to Cleveland anytime soon, you can claim the first spot in line. Maybe you can help me with some driving footage for this thread in exchange.

• Like 1

Brent

25 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

Haha, guilty as charged. 

Brent, I'll take you up on that offer! 

Great! Now I just need to leave him alone myself so he can finish.

Brent

Patrick fired her up today!

He’s working on installing the boost controller and boost gauge tonight/tomorrow, then I’ll go drive him around for road tuning this weekend.

After that, find a home for the oil catch can and radiator overflow to wrap it up.

Will get it on a chassis dyno to finalize the tune. Not sure if we’ll do that right away or put some miles on it first.

• Like 2

Brent