Alec

Need to bleed the brakes?

2 posts / 431 viewsLast Reply

I was tackling the job of replacing the pads and drum on the rear brakes, and in the wrestling match with the springs, I knocked the little rubber cap off of the actuator. I thought "oh, neat! I always wondered how the brakes seated in underneath the rubber." And then the metal plug shot three feet out and brake fluid started dripping down (up to 1/4 cup, maybe?).  Should I bleed the brakes? Or is this particular situation safe to not bleed? It's something I've not been wanting to tackle right now.

Sidenote: I've certainly developed a more colorful vocabulary since starting to work on this car!

You need to bleed that wheel cylinder, at least-

if the reservoir didn't leak all the way down, that'll do.

If it did, you need to bleed both rear wheel cylinders.

You may find that it now leaks- they sometimes don't like the accidental disassembly process.  Sometimes they survive.

It's stupid easy to bleed them- get some vinyl tubing small enough to push onto the

bleeder nipples, drill a hole into the top of a plastic drink bottle, insert tubing, open the bleeder,

wait 10 minutes.  Gravity will do the work.

Usually.

If not, you need a helper.  But it's still not hard.

t