• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC area caravan to the Vintage 2016?

Gordon

A friend of mine who has a 72 E3 Bavaria was wondering if there is a group of old school BMW's from the beltway region are headed to the Vintage in a few weeks and if so, he would like to join in. 

Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall,

I'll be traveling on Thursday this time.  I believe you historically make a stop for a Greek lunch somewhere, but what is your route from Alexandria?

I plan to take 7 West to 81 South, and wondered if/where/when we might intersect.

Thanks!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ok.  time to put more coordination into the trip down.

departing from alexandria thursday morning.  departure either needs to be in the 6:30am or 9am windows to avoid rush hour.

two route options.

1/ the usual route we take down to richmond west on 360 with stop at the crazy greek for brunch, then 58 to 29 to 40

2/ west around beltway to 66, then south on 81

both routes seem to be same distance and time plus or minus 20 miles and 20 minutes.

if we go the 66 route, we do have to leave at the earlier time, but we can do a pick up of other folks at intersection of 66 and 81, then more folks in roanoke.

thoughts?

2xM3

Looking forward to joining you guys as last year was sooo much fun!

Looks like the white (of course) 1985 M635 will be the vintage car choice this year, either 6 cylinder noise, or V10 cylinder twin turbo

Touareg power towing noise on the way down to Asheville

BMW 2002 Alpina-spec owned for 45 years is sad not going this year.

We will close in on coordination next week.

1971 BMW 2002 Alpina-Spec

1983 BMW 323 SCCA race car, radical setup by Korman

1985 BMW M635, white

1986 BMW M635, black

Greek sounds great to me. I'll either be driving my 2002 (assuming I can re-seal the selector rod after last week's failed attempt) or riding with Clay. 

The earlier we depart DC, the more time we have for parking lot shenanigans upon arrival. 

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I know of at least one 02er who has to drop off a dog at a kennel no earlier than 7am Thursday morning.

Side note, my in-laws run a smoothie and wrap place (good food, good variety) in Roanoke and they would be happy to host. Just a thought.

If going 66, maybe the solution to skipping the rush hour traffic is to pick a spot on 66 (Centerville? Fair oaks Mall?) and plan to leave that spot by 8. That might give the needed flexibility to those of us coming from odd places or with differing departure requirements. We'd still make Roanoke by noon, and Ashville by 430 or 5pm.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Another note for all. ... we have used the little FRS walkie talkie radios in the past.  Very useful for keeping group together.  Bring`me if you can.  We talk on ch 02, code 02.

How about we go down the Richmond route,  and back the 81 route?

2xM3

8 hours ago, mlytle said:

How about we go down the Richmond route,  and back the 81 route?

Playing with Google Maps, it looks like if we go through Richmond our best bet is to just take our regular route to Winston-Salem and then continue on I-40 to Asheville.  Going over to 81 adds a lot of time to the drive.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors