6 posts / 904 viewsLast Reply

My gauge cluster lights weren't working, so after switching the bulbs with no luck I started looking at the headlight switch as the potential culprit. Sure enough the coil for the rheostat inside the switch was hanging lose. I ordered a new switch from Rogers Tii, and when I finally got around to installing it I noticed it was slightly different than the switch I took out of the dash. I contacted Rogers and he asked that I send him a few pictures. I did, and his only reply was that one of the switches was European. I've asked him for clarification a few times as to which switch is European, and which is North American but haven't got any reply. Anyway, my point of this thread isn't to slag his business/poor service, but rather I'm just looking to see if anyone can help me identify the switch I was sent? Also, I'm wondering if anyone has ever installed one of these? My buddy and I tried to install it using a multimeter and some trial and error, but couldn't get it set up right. I'm thinking I have some other wiring gremlins to sort out too, but want to see if this new switch is even going to work first. The vertical switch (first picture) is the one I removed, the horizontal one (second picture) is the one I was sent.

Thanks in advance.  

IMG_20160412_121556.jpg

IMG_20160417_143938.jpg

I believe you have the older switch with individual wires? I tried switching switches because of same problems. I ended up removing the rheostat wire out of the old switch. This solved gremlins but turned said instrument panel dimmer into a on off switch. Works fine and always had my lights on full anyway. To answer Q my car is a 68 1600, USA model, my 76 o2 has the other switch. What year is yours?

(edited)

Mine is a 69 2002 imported from the factory to Canada, with the individual wires that attach to the switch. Any idea if the newer switch will work with the older wires, or am I outta luck? How did you end up turning it into an on/off switch exactly? I'd be entirely content with that if I could get it to work that way... When we tried to install the new switch we couldn't get the headlights to work, which wasn't one of the initial issues.

Edited by Parksis_52

From the pictures you posted, the first one (slanted terminals) is for an early car with individual female terminals on the wiring harness; the second one is for later cars with a plastic multi-terminal female socket.  You can make the later one work with your '69 by checking the wiring diagrams for both cars (69 and say a '72), noting the terminal numbers stamped on the later switch and then matching them up with the terminal numbers, wiring colors and wire destinations on your '69's wiring harness.  Just takes a little concentration (and a magnifying glass) and you'll be able to match wires with terminals.

Happy squinting

mike

On April 23, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Parksis_52 said:

Mine is a 69 2002 imported from the factory to Canada, with the individual wires that attach to the switch. Any idea if the newer switch will work with the older wires, or am I outta luck? How did you end up turning it into an on/off switch exactly? I'd be entirely content with that if I could get it to work that way... When we tried to install the new switch we couldn't get the headlights to work, which wasn't one of the initial issues.

I simply removed the rheostat wire completely out of the plastic holder. This is the spring like wire that is embedded into the round piece. As Mike mentioned above it is a doable swap, had issues with fitment and went back to original switch and have never looked back. 

Awesome, thanks for the help and clarification. I'll get to tinkering and will make something work. Thanks again!