• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Built July of 1974, #896 was sold to a dealer in Mainz, Germany. In 1983, the car was imported to the US via the gray-market. After a couple owners, the car sat for twenty years having been driven only 1,300 km in that time. Most of my time has been focused on bringing the car back to life. I have put 10,000 km on the car and intend on many more!!!

12006322_10153889409033455_5890162142315957244_n.jpg

m6smitten1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just purchased some IE lowering springs and strut bearings. Going to repack front wheel bearings this week. If you look, I am missing the screws/brackets that secure the front spoiler. Just got them from Mobile Tradition.

Questions:

Any of you guys running electronic ignition?

Also, when my car is on the lift, the passenger front wheel hangs lower than the driver side. Thoughts?

IMG_1918_zps4wvnc48a.jpg

IMG_2085_zpsaesa07a7.jpg

a50c6c8f-e34f-4b0a-894d-ec6529da8a43_zps

IMG_2087_zpsj9zw3njp.jpg

Edited by m6smitten
m6smitten1.jpg

• 11 months later...

I popped in to see if there is anything "new" while I am conserving my car; and have a question. If you car has never been painted, are the "struts" that the hood hinges bolt to painted flat black so as to make them hidden when the grilles are installed?

Also, does your car have the black "asphalt" Tectyl undercoating?

I have had a J&S electronic ignition and knock sensor since the car was acquired in 1983 or so. I also have that on my faux Tii for over 200K miles with no problems. I really like the fact that it reduces the timing on the "offending knocking" cylinder.  In addition, I also have a Lambda sensor display.

Check your shock mounts with respect to it being lower, could be the mount, could be the shock being loose, could be the mount itself.

Thanks,

Ted

My car was repainted in Germany just prior to being imported to the US. I know the reinforcement "struts' you're referencing,  mine are BLACk .My car also has some undercoat.

Good point on the suspension, that's my next job once I get the turbo charger installed.

Nice to hear from you.

Edited by m6smitten
m6smitten1.jpg

Thanks!

My '72 Taiga had flat black paint on those struts, with overspray near the radiator; I also remember other 2002 and CS coupes in the "vibrant" colors had this as well, when I worked at an independent shop. Now it is uncommon and unfortunate that there are few original cars that I get to see; and those of us that are old enough to have worked on them when they were new....ish.

Thanks for the link to confirm the Tectyl. Since my car doesn't have anything other than surface rust on the body where the paint was chipped, I am deciding to keep it original. The issue is that in the wheel wells some of it has worn off, e.g. tire rubbing. I have been trying to find someone from the manufacturer who is knowledgeable of "back in the day" which formulation might have been used, and more importantly can I get a sample in less than a 55 gallon drum.

Best,