theNomad

Modifying Throttle Rod to work on Weber 38

15 posts / 1561 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Well, after searching all over I figured I'd ask. As many know, the throttle rod is rotated approx 180* from where it needs to be on a Weber 38/38 Carb. I've read posts where people said they would modify the rod. Well, I have an idea but am hesitant to pull the trigger on it. Here is my setup below and some option/ideas 

1. I could cut off the arm and find someone to weld one on,

2. I could drill through the rod and insert a long threaded rod with nuts to hold clamp it

BUT

The angle is odd with the 38/38 vs a 32/36. The arm now angles away from the bracket. The angle can be seen in the overhead crappy photo. Should I try to reattach the firewall throttle mount further to one side to straighten the path?

Anyone care to show pictures of how they've gone about it? Or is it a lost cause?

I know I could buy the IE rod, but is that the only way to get it working?

Throttle rod.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Edited by theNomad

2 vice grips, one at each end.  Wheaties.  Twist.

Has worked for me...  but I had the early, 8mm rod.  Yours looks like you'd need a lot of Wheaties and big vice grips...

You could also braze another rod on.  Or even drill a hole, and use a long bolt/screw.

Lots of tie- wraps.  That worked once at a track day.

t

(edited)

Over the years I've used many methods to twist the throttle rod to align it for Weber linkage. By far the easiest way I've found is to mount one end in a bench vise, heat a section up till lightly glowing with a propane or mapp gas torch and use a pair of pliers to twist to position.

I've had much better luck twisting and using in general, the other (earlier single barrel style) linkage rod than the one you have there.

Edited by tjones02
add more info/detail

Unfortunately it looks like you got the weber "kit" a la' amazon/ebay.  These kits have the wrong attachment for the linkage in the first place.  

Options

1) IE rod + appropriate U-bracket/nut/washer

2) Early rod (heat/bend) + appropriate U-bracket/nut/washer

Yeah, I picked up just the carb in the classifieds and have been chasing lots of small parts. I put the old bits from the 32/36 that was on it. I've ordered the U bracket already. Jury is out on if I saved any money.

OK, I forgot the part where you have to file/dremel/grind a tiny spot to fit with the screw. But still. Flip it around. It's easy! Go buy a beer with the money you just saved.

Snapchat-2395588730498034049.jpg

2 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

OK, I forgot the part where you have to file/dremel/grind a tiny spot to fit with the screw. But still. Flip it around. It's easy! Go buy a beer with the money you just saved.

Snapchat-2395588730498034049.jpg

In this photo it looks like the bracket was placed under the screw that controls the throttle butterfly and the left side gear was also moved up one tooth? 

Does this leave "closed throttle" with one butterfly slightly open? How does it run? Could you share your jetting? 

Thanks. I'd tried that and saw the screw was in the way but might take another look at it.

Also, different topic, does your carb sbind in any way at full wide open throttle? Mine has a sticky spot that the throttle return spring will solve but I'd like it to move freely.

On 4/14/2016 at 0:03 PM, theNomad said:

In this photo it looks like the bracket was placed under the screw that controls the throttle butterfly and the left side gear was also moved up one tooth? 

Does this leave "closed throttle" with one butterfly slightly open? How does it run? Could you share your jetting? 

Thanks. I'd tried that and saw the screw was in the way but might take another look at it.

Also, different topic, does your carb sbind in any way at full wide open throttle? Mine has a sticky spot that the throttle return spring will solve but I'd like it to move freely.

Nope, that bracket is ground down. I remembered doing it after I took the picture. The throttle shaft teeth are also exactly where they are supposed to be (marks lined up). I synced the two by hand as well. No binding on mine at all. I also replaced the throttle bushings with bearings.

As far as jetting, I'm having a hell of a time finding my old post on what my tuning is. The search function is fighting me profusely...

I see it now. I'll be getting a few things done this weekend then finally start it up!

(edited)

Ouch, low blow! :) 

I cleaned up the entire engine with toothbrush sized bristles and degreaser. Disassembled most things then painted the block and put it back together. 

One I get it running i'll pull it out into the driveway and degrease the engine bay with some dollar store hand and toilet brushes i got. The chassis needs some power spraying and degreasing.
Then I can give attention to the wiring harness.

Every job leads to another!

I went ahead and ordered the IE rod. My stock has some wear so I figured its probably best to do it right the first time .

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Edited by theNomad

(edited)

Played around with it a little then just decided to install the "right parts" so I can avoid any problems down the road. Worked like a charm... imagine that. Buttery smooth. (I cropped out the engine bay in this pic)

This weekend I try to bring her back to life.

20160421_201844.jpg

Edited by theNomad

Looks like you got a solution; however, I'm with roadhog0. Simply rotate the bracket 180 degrees and adjust to needs. Can provide photo is you like.