• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaccuum advance leaks, where to buy new?

scoopyg

My vacuum advance on my 75 Malaga leaks, which has caused some headaches in the performance department.   So, rather than search all over the internet, I knew it would be most expedient just to ask you kind folks where I could obtain a new unit. 

I have a stock distributor, Bosch, #  231 115 171.    Thanks for any constructive assistance you may be able to offer.   Rich in Tampa

I was able to buy a rebuilt alcardone after much searching. However it's probably easier to just buy a mechanical distributor from Ireland engineering($180)

Also al cardone will rebuild for $130

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

You lost me there... Gas mileage isn't the issue.   The issue is that the vacuum pod on the distributor evidently has a blown diaphragm.   It isn't connected on my car for that reason, and the vacuum tube off the manifold is capped off, so as not to have a vacuum leak.    My question is....where can I buy a new vacuum pod for this distributor?   thanks again for any assistance.

I have heard that they are NLA, but have also heard of people using vacuum pots from VW models.  I cannot say that this one will work for you, but I would be tempted to try it, if I was in your shoes.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vacuum-Advance-Pot-Pertronix-SVDAs-D909003-p/d909003.htm

The nipple will point up, instead of down, but that is no big deal.  I would suggest checking what effect it has on your timing, using a light, should you decide to try one.  The stock pot on my car adds  about ten degrees, when it is in full swing.  Hopefully this one would give the same.

Once again, I have not tried this unit, but am just suggesting that this might be a part which will work.

Maybe give this thread a little more time before placing an order, in case someone knows that this one will NOT work.

Tom

Rich,

The part No. is 

It is a bit pricey (~ $160). 

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1273547&ukey_assembly=250636

It appears they are available (from just searching the web), but supplier may have to get it from BMW in Germany. Below source say ship May 3rd

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/vac-advance/12111352173/

Try to put add in "part Waned" section. you may find one and have spare dizzy.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Thanks to all you fellas for you advice.   I now have some options to pursue.   One thing I forgot was to ask the encyclopedic Geoff Hazelton at Motorkars in Columbus.   Thanks again all.    Hi Farshid!

Great responses and options!  This is another reason why I am a FAQ member.

edit- just remembered I have a spare distributor with vacuum advance unit. Will test the diaphragm today and report back. If it holds, I will remove it and send to you if you want it.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks Jim, that's nice of you, let me know what you want for it.  

Pete, I have heard tell of the 123 from my friend Edd W. here with the Tampa 2002 group.  After some difficulty with starting and performance, my Cuban mechanic managed to tweak things and get the car running pretty well.   Seems the points had walked out of adjustment, a simple issue I overlooked.    Running very well now.  It just needs the advance to be operable, and I think it will be on a whole...'nuther....level.

FINAL QUESTION TO ALL....  I have a bead on a 72 or 73 car, mostly a body shell, but seems like a relatively rust-free car.  No engine in the car.    Is there a market for such a thing?  Not sure yet if it would be a TII, I doubt it.  My friends at the NAPA store saw me pull up in my 75, and they told me of this roundie behind a local shop.  I drove to the shop that Sunday and sure enough there it sat.   I was thinking that rather than see it sit rotting behind the guy's shop while they work on monster trucks, I might see if I could buy it and pass it along to an enthusiast who could get it back on the road.  What's a good roundie body worth?

Cheers all,   Rich

PS, I am on several car forums, and this one by far has the most knowledgeable and courteous membership.  Well done FAQ

Edited by scoopyg
forgot something