• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator hose kit needed

tsores

I need to replace all the radiator hoses.  I have a base model, manual transmission, with A/C.  Pelican has genuine BMW only for big dollars.  Blunt and Bavauto are pricey.  Ireland has a silicon hose set for less.  Questions:

What is the difference between silicon and conventional as far as performance and longevity?

Any other suggested vendors?

Thanks.

Boy, looks like the aftermarket's giving up on us.

Rockauto has a few Dayco hoses that you can make work,

but you'll only save a few bucks.

I KNEW I should have hoarded aftermarket parts when they were cheap...

heh,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The annoying thing I ran into was that none of the "kits" are comprehensive. There are many cooling hoses on our cars and the kits look great until you realize you still have to track down other hoses to "complete" it. It seems there are no deal to be had. You end up paying the same price. No thoughts on silicone. Rubber lasts a long time when new, silicone has "tuner" colors but not sure what other true benefits. Will they double the life? Not sure. 

From what I can tell and without solid proof to back it up, a properly constructed silicon hose is supposed to outlast a conventional radiator hose.

Some earlier manufactured  silicon hoses have had a history of not sealing properly. Again (without proof and without extensive research on my part) silicon hoses may be more flexible (expand and contract) and may require a tighter fit to prevent leaks So appropriate hose clamps that that have rounded edges so they can seal tight without cutting into the hose is supposed to be the ticket. 

I went with the IE hoses and clamps. They are in the process of being installed on a complete cooling system overhaul on my '02. I got tired of researching the pluses and minuses of silicon in my case  and just pulled the trigger. 

So my fingers are crossed on the future in my case. 

I hope all goes well with you. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Silicone is prone to tears- a little nick can grow to a big split.

Traditonally, that meant instead of a slow leak, you had a big dump.

And you had to be very careful to deburr your nipples (!!!)

Newer designs, less so...  I hear.

When good aftermarket hoses were $7, it seemed a waste of money to put on a $40 hose

that resists heat we just don't see.  Now, the extra life might be worth it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

FWIW, I have run the blue silicon kit from Ireland for.... 4 years now, and I've loved them.  Had no issues, and as an added bonus, they look totally cool.  The fit was perfect, and they installed with no problems.  I'd recommend.

Matt

• Like 1

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

With silicone you'll want to use nice rolled-edge clamps to avoid tearing the hose and you don't want to over-tighten them which can counter-intuitively lead to leaking.  Bear those things in mind and you will be fine.  I ran the silicone for 4 years of daily use prior to tearing the car down for restoration.  The #13 car has been racing on them for ten.

The cost difference is just because IE controls it's own manufacturing and supply while others are pulling from either the OEM parts network or the generic wholesale wharehouse network.  Parts pricing is actually an interesting subject to jump into.

• Like 1