• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sunroof styles

billjecks

My sunroof is different than all the local cars that I see. It is factory installed and has a bump out into the aperture where the crank is. What I see in others is a straight edge across the front of the opening.From going online I can see that it looks to be similar to the one in that generation Porsche 911 or the previous 356 model. Anyone have the same one? My vin is 2763624,built I think in march,1973. Perhaps there was a supply issue at the factory at that time and that is what Golde supplied. 

cheers,

Bill

73 / tii

Vancouver BC

Our cars are 24 away from each other mine's 2763648 built March 20th 1973. My sunroof is the regular Golde all my 2002s have had. Please post a picture.

post-38744-0-70028200-1458957154_thumb.j

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

You seem to have a Golde sunroof from a Porsche. I think Mercedes also used the same/similar design.

The American Sunroof Company CA also fitted Golde sunroofs in the '60s & '70s so maybe a previous Owner had it fitted?

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

What you have is a proper Golde sunroof, but not one installed by the factory.  Back in the Day, Golde had authorized installers in the US that could install a metal sliding sunroof on a non-sunroof car (not just 2002s, but almost anything).  The primary difference between the factory sunroof and the Golde dealer installed item is that bump on the leading edge of the opening, and the dimensions of the roof panel--it's slightly smaller than the factory unit.  

We have a local owner of such a car, and when the body shop had the headliner out during a repaint, you could see where the reinforcements to support the sunroof rails and other mechanisms had been welded to the roof structure after the car had been assembled.  Also, the rear drain hoses didn't run into the rocker panels like the factory ones; they drained into the rear wheel well.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 month later...

Well I stripped the paint off my roof in preparation for paint and found very little filler. My expectation was that after

installing the sunroof they would use plenty of filler to correct the metal they had distorted ini the process> They 

must have been very experienced as my roof is pretty straight. Nice surprise.

Bill

73 tii

5 hours ago, billjecks said:

Well I stripped the paint off my roof in preparation for paint and found very little filler. My expectation was that after

installing the sunroof they would use plenty of filler to correct the metal they had distorted ini the process> They 

must have been very experienced as my roof is pretty straight. Nice surprise.

Bill

73 tii

This is good to hear, Bill,

And it's actually what I expected:  the Golde post-factory sunroof installations were professionally done and NOT hacked into the roof like so many of the cheap tinted pop-up sunroofs.  Many of them went into brand new cars at a time when you couldn't simply "order" a factory sunroof (as was the case with '02's).

Thanks for circling back.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Bill's sunroof sounds like my Golde sunroof. It looks to be professionally installed although you can see the differences from a factory sunroof car. First of all, it has the bump out for the for the crank. Next is the placement. It sits further forward leaving little room for the rear view mirror. My mirror is mounted on the windshield. The whole assembly sits lower than the factory one. The top of the frame sits down from the top of the roof by 1 1/4" in the front. The roof itself is 17 3/4 x 35 1/2. There is no seal around the panel and I get air noise when it is closed. 

By looking at the car, you can see it was once a non sunroof car. The interior ceiling light is mounted on the left side, not in the center as in a sunroof car. It has the non sunroof grab handles. The headliner is spaced down by the rear window and catches air when the roof is open. The drain tunnels going into the trunk are open, not plugged. In fact the rear drain tubes were routed into the tunnels. The front drain tubes were routed into the rocker panels before I routed them into the wheel wells.

Here are some pictures showing off my shabby headliner.

Sunroof 1.jpgSunroof 2.jpgSunroof 3.jpgSunroof 4.jpg